Critique my vocals please

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi all!

I've added a song on my myspace, would be glad for some constructive criticism on the vocal parts.

www.myspace.com/marcuscarlen

So much have happened with my voice in the past year. I've gone from being a low baritone/bass with a strained chestvoice up to F# above middle C to being able to hit tenor high c in belted chest without straining too much. This is much thanks to Vocal Asylum by James Lugo (and I've been doing Singing Success excercises too). Still I think there's more to improve and it's hard to hear everything yourself. Anything from technique recommendations to pronounciation and feeling would be gladly accepted.

/ Marcus

• 4 months later...

Hi Marcus,

Firstly, nice job! I like the drive of the track - takes me back to the 80's & 90's (which for my mind is not a bad thing!)

A couple of thoughts for your consideration:

1. Your articulation is occassionly slurred which in turn leads to a tighter sound than necessary. I wonder whether you can try to use your jaw less in the articulation of your lyric and encourage the tongue to work harder. Try singing the song through (at least a verse/chorus) with your little finger placed between your upper and lower teeth. As you sing don't let the jaw drop away from the finger. Yes, this interferes with the articulation, but can you notice how the voice is a little freer? Now try to re-create the same sensations and tongue activity without the finger between the teeth. It will take some practice - but you should see improvement in your articulation and tension managment (jaw & extrinsic laryngeal muscles) over time.

2. There are a few times where you slur to the notes. Is this done on purpose (stylistic choice) or are you searching for the note? If the latter - learn to trust that the note is there! Also, perhaps some focus on how your onsets (the way your sound initiates at the level of the vocal folds) are being generated would be helpful. I.e. Be careful not to 'over pressurise' the note. Ensure that there is the right amount of 'sub-glottal' pressure (air pressure directly underneath the vocal folds) for the note being sung. Too much and you will over blow the note; too little and the note will feel lacking in tone and substance.

Anyways, I hope this is helpful - keep up with your singing!

DK :)

Daniel K. Robinson is a freelance artist and educator. Having obtained his MMusSt in 2002, Daniel is currently completing his doctoral research (DMA) into the Australian Contemporary Worship Singer at Griffith University Queensland Conservatorium. He serves as National Vice President and National Secretary for the Australian National Association of Teachers of Singing, ANATS (2006 - ). Daniel is the principal voice coach for Djarts (www.djarts.com.au) and presents workshops and seminars to church singers across Australia and abroad.

Hi Marcus,

Good advice so far. It sounds like a great song but there are times when I can't understand the words and the lyrics are very important to me. Watch the pitch on the higher notes (maybe that's what Dan is talking about).

You are still young and developing your voice and style. I think you have a talent for writing as well. :)

keep working!

Thank you so much for the great advices!

Now it was a bit more than half a year since I recorded the song and I've been working a lot more with my tenor range since then, so a lot have happened with my top notes (the TMV forum song is a more recent example of me singing). Articulation is always good to work on, so I will think some more about that! Daniel, I will try your excercise with a finger between my teeth!

Right now I have no oppurtunity to record anything new, but I will be posting more when I come back home to Sweden in october/november.

Thank you Chele for the compliment!

• 4 weeks later...

Disclaimer: I'm still learning myself. Your singing is probably better than mine :)

That being said, it sounds to me like you're holding back the air and getting good closure of the chords. Some of it sounds a bit pinched though. Maybe maintaining more of an open throat the whole time would allow for more resonance and get rid of the tightness in the sound. There are some awesome moments in the song where I think you sound outstanding. I can hear the musical theater in your voice, I think it comes out as a sort of "covered" sound which I don't like in the genre of the song you're singing. Get rid of the covered sound, and open your throat more. That's my advice. Good singing to you! Love the song!

-Trev