Here jonpall goes again (Whitesnake cover) :)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Check this out - me singing Here I go again by Whitesnake (an unplugged version):

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20032203/Here_I_go_again.mp3

I hope you can try to listen past the poor recording quality. I don't have better equipment at the moment, but I'm working on getting some.

Let me know if you like it or not. Personally I think I'm getting somewhat decent at this song, but some of you might disagree.

Here you can hear some gritty singing, along with some high notes. There are several Ab4s, with and without distortion and one Eb5 scream.

Instead of making a new thread for a completely different song I just recorded a few minutes ago, I decided to simply post that song here:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20033167/It_s_now_or_never.mp3

I'd also like to hear some people's opinion on my performance of this song - "It's now or never" by Elvis Presley. There were people in the apartment next door when I recorded this, so I pretty much stuck to a moderate volume.

It would be especially great if Steven Frasier could chime in, because this is as "operatic" as I've gotten with my audio demonstrations so far, and I know Steven has lots of knowledge about that. Also, do you hear a tenor or a baritone? Just curious.

So, to sum up: Comments on both songs would be very well appreciated! :) I realize they're not perfect, but they were both first-takes with little or no warm ups and absolutely no post-editing.

Hi jonpall

Good voice you have

for me the scream is a little too ' hard ' for me, it doesn't sound natural in yout interprtation of the song. ( maybe it's because the sound is not good ;-) ).

Maybe you can try also to make the song in original pitch. Seems that you lowered it about a third minor. Think it will suit your voice fine and adding some brightness to the voice.

I'm not a pro at all, that's just what i thought at the first listening ;-).

Thanxs for that song i'm adding it to my list, wonderful song!!

Thanks. Yeah, I'm lowering it to 3 half steps because the high scream is an F#5. So here it becomes an Eb5, which is something I seem to be able to do at rehearsals and gigs. I don't think I can rely (yet) on an F#5 note being there for me live. Note also, that David Coverdale didn't put distortion on this note, but I chose to. Thanks again for good comments.

yep it's a really high note!!! even coverdale don't take the risk to do it unplugged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efZzYBMDxv0&feature=related

i'll love to hear you on a good recording you can have some good complete rig for 200€. If you need help choosing feel free to ask me ;-).

Jonpall, you did a nice job, with a live band it would be hard to decipher the original artist to yourself. I can tell you are very good. Keep it up; I give you kudos for playing guitar (even thou you have very basic guitar skills) your vocals far outshine your guitar. I say have someone else play the guitar and then sing it. It will be much better you would be a lot more comfortable.

Having the basic skills to play any instrument is great for a singer to learn how to anticipate and sing on key with what you are playing.

Byron

www.myspace.com/brtempleofsound
www.vamacoustics.com

vamacoustics, thanks a lot for the comments. Glad you liked it.

It's true that when I'm singing, it's hard for me to play complex guitar parts. But when I'm not, here's how I sound, playing Steve Vai's For the love of god:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20172676/For_the_love_of_god.mp3

Check it out and let me know how you like it!

Cheers,

jonpall.

Jonpall, What are your reasons for performing? Do you perform in a band? Do you have any live footage of any performance?

cheers!

Michele

Rock on...

Live footage might come soon... I just love rock 'n' roll and music. I'm in a band, yes. Thanks Michelle. I actually have some live footage on my facebook page.

For me it's how I make other people feel. Giving them a couple of hours of escape from their everyday lives/chores/stresses. It's about how I can make them feel...and in turn that gives me alot in return. I try to sing to the best of my ability and at practice try and figure out how I want all the different songs to sound. But once performing, just sink into the song and communicate the message of the song the best I can. That's what the listener will catch. The feeling you are communicating. Even with playing, this is important. Sound is important but I truly feel that feeling the song will produce a better sound than just trying to imitate the original person. That's how you can make it your own. understand?

Michele