Open arms

• TMV World Legacy Member

Got this backingtrack from a fellow member of this board. Today I figured I give it a shot and this is what came out.

Microphone is Shure SM57, handheld during recording without popfilter but I think I managed to keep it nice and clean.. somewhat.

Didnt know the second verse really so I kind of improvised through that part.

Really not my type of song, singingwise, but in all my modesty I think I did ok.

LISTEN! :)

http://www.box.net/shared/0exseo71n5

EDIT: ALSO LIGHTS

http://www.box.net/shared/7m30is34cd

EDIT2: Open Arms chorus(softer)

http://www.box.net/shared/9ossa8nzvg

EDIT3: Open Arms(overdrive)

http://www.box.net/shared/qsn8lr580u

Hi Freddie,

I applaud you for challenging yourself with such a big song! Having said that, I like the second chorus better than the first. Steve Perry is a very accomplished singer and definitely has his own style. The sounds are very big and the vowels are very open. He tends to use the "ahh" sound more to his advantage.

I believe that you have the raw talent to be an excellent singer. Do you have examples of other songs?

If it were me, I would try to find songs that are a bit less challenging (or big) and work on the foundations of singing. Work on finding the note, and stabilizing it, or anchoring it, for a nice steady strong sound for the duration of the notes you are holding.

Look forward to more examples. :)

Thank you, it is indeed a big song, therefore very challenging! One of the more difficult songs in the Journey catalog I would say. I agree that Perry uses slightly diffrent vowels which seem to be more "noble" sounding. While listening to the original he also seem to be singing softer, yet still powerful. Now this is imo a question of style isnt it? And few sing a power ballad like that guy. I mean this song is what set the whole 80sballad-circus on the roll.

I've been provided with two backingtracks. This one and "wheel in the sky" by the same group. I'll hade a go on that one some other time in the near future.

It sounds a bit closed and strained. Especially the high parts. I think you're using the vibratto as a release valve to access the higher notes and it seems a bit out of control. Very tough song, and some of it was very pleasing. I would say to cut some of the vibratto and not to over sing it as much. I think you're pushing your voice a little too hard so it becomes harder to manage. Keep the connection of your full voice, but don't lean into it as hard (it sounds like you're leaning into it by pushing, I think if you want to lean into it, you have to compress the chords more not stretch them harder. I think you're going in the opposite direction when trying to lean into the pressure on the chords). Nice job man. Takes guts to put something on here, especially a Journey song!

Nice input. I actually force really hard here, but it really does not hurt at all even though it takes alot more effort.

I would say my volume on a scale 1-10 of my potential is around 9 here. I could drop it to a 5 or 6 and redo the recording that way and see if that would be more pleasing for the listener. Good input on the vibrato aswell, I know it can be used the way you describe, and can be used as camouflage. I actually really dont use much vibrato normally because of the sound which I tend to think of too "noble and operatic" and hell with it, I wanna sound rocknroll!

In general to not oversing, is a good advice...Ill have that one in mind.

You're already half way there, because not many people can sing this song at all and there are some good moments there. But the contrast between the lower and the highest volume is a bit too much, I think. Also, you might want to work on thickening up those top notes. They sound a tad bit too much "edge" like which would work well for singing in the style of, say, Rob Halford, i.e. more heavy metal, but not as much for this style. Still, even for heavy metal, it would probably sound better to have more low overtones in those high notes. Mixing twang with a dopy sound is something I've heard people recommend for thick, yet cutting high notes. Just my opinion.

Your opinions is taken under consideration!

Here is what ill do:

I will record a few different approaches on how I can think of singing this style, and you tell me which one is closer to ideal because right now Im quite blinded.

Freddie,

Great chops!

Are you familiar with CVT? If so...try this in the chorus:

"S-OH(overdrive) now I c-OH(overdrive)-me to you with OH(overdrive)-pen arms n-OH(overdrive)-th-EH(overdrive)-ng to hide believe wh-OH(overdrive)-t I s-EH(overdrive)-d" ::::: "So here I EH(Overdrive)-m with OH(overdrive)-pen arms h-OH(overdrive)-ping you'll see wh-OH(overdrive)-t your l-OH(overdrives)-ve means to me....". :)

Rest of the chorus is sung in curbing.

Analyzed from this clip:

Freddie,

Great :)

But you are using the "advantage of the recording proccess". Of course that's super....but...

I would love to hear a recording of you singing it "live"....because that's where you can truly hear the vocal technique...

And that second take of yours was maybe slightly too much in the opposite direction, i.e. slightly too "dopy" sounding. I hope you don't take offence. But if you were to do a take that was kind of a blend between those 2 takes, i.e. one that's both a bit twangy and a bit dopy, I think it would sound better. Keep at it because I think you got talent, you just need practise and a bit of direction. Posting your stuff here is a step in the right direction. Cheers.

Freddie,

I would second Martin's opinion here...both versions(Steve and Arnell) are very "over-drivish" on the money notes. You need that metal to make the sound convincing on Journey tunes. Would be cool to hear you blend that last version you did with Overdrive(on the vowels Martin suggested. )

Wish you still had your old band linked. I bet people on here would be blown away by it :)

That was MUUUUUUCH better! You're doing exactly what people are suggesting - great, man! Of course, in the end, you should just sing the way YOU want to sing, but from this forum you'll receive tips that can really help you connect to your audience better. It's not perfect yet, but this is a very, very tough song. Still, it's way better than most guys can do. You get pitchy occasionally and "covered" or "woofy" (read: Slightly Operaish sounding) occasionally, but I don't feel qualified giving you specific instructions on how to fix that. This is clearly just my opinion and I'm not a vocal instructor. Keep on singing, man! It's very cool to you hear you progress right here on this forum! :)

Hi again,

That second take is much better and you are using some twang already with the words "open arms". :) Think of it like a bird opening his wings for take off for your vowels. Open up a bit more and ...in my opnion...it still feels like you're wavering a bit. So, go for it....let yourself go for it. The best example is Barbra Streisand. When she sings she really goes for them. Puts herself out there on a limb and it sounds great. Use your technique and be confident.

The next thing would be to think of a special person when you are singing it. Make it mean something to YOU...and those feelings will come across in the performance. That's what evokes the feeling in your audience. Make me believe that you are coming to me with open arms and that you love me....or whoever you're thinking about....you get my point. We need to feel that you mean it.

You're on the right track. Remember, this is stuff most people can't even try to attempt let alone get the style and mix, proper sound...etc.

Looking forward to your next track! Rock on my friend..:cool:

Man Freddie!!

I'm really impressed! Can you hear the difference? I hope so....

But like jonpall pointed out: You should sing it the way you like! But now you have more ways to go with this song. Keep working at it...and you'll rock this song! :)

The second take was so much better sounding! Great job dude. The one piece of advice I can give is to really FEEL the lyrics as you're singing them and don't focus so much on the technique at hand. I can hear the difference when you are "lost" in the song and feeling it more.

Keep it up!

"GIDDYUP!"