A Chestpuller makes a new attempt at "Voices" by Dream Theater

• TMV World Legacy Member

Ok, i give it another shot. At my first attempt i received advice to not pull chest, well, to pull chest isn´t necessarily bad if made correct, it´s an artistic choice but i realised that the critique i got was justified, i could also hear that my highest notes sounded strained and too shouty. I am aware of the fact that my problem isn´t solved over one night, it´s so easy to just push too much thru your passagio to get to your high notes. This time i focused on two things: To relax my throat and concentrate on my support. My support is still not good enough to do a song like this in one take but hopefully one day...Be brutally honest as always when you critique, this helps me more than if i get kind words from someone who really doesn´t mean it.

Ps. If you have difficulties hearing my voice because of the music in the background please tell me and i will send you only my vocals.

Cheers!

http://www.box.net/shared/mdu1dbcc6j

Except for one spot that I'm sure you know of, it seems to me that you are on pitch. What will help the high notes is a little more twang to brighten them. Even if you are pulling chest high, some twang will sharpen it just a bit. Like I said, you were on pitch but the tone was muted.

One trivial, minor thing that I almost hesitate to mention because it really is style rather than technical. The s's. In a word with a hard consonant ending, like hopes, the s is hard. Otherwise, with a soft ending like Easter's, the s in american and even some canadian accent, will sound like a z. And that truly depends on what you are looking for. It's not even a technical problem and you can do it either way, but I didn't know if you were wanting to sound north american, or not.

Thanx, ron for your answer. The spot you refer to is the phrase "Eden" were i wavered? This part i found very difficult, adding rasp that high is very difficult for me. I don´t actually know what you mean when you say the tone is mute, that i was holding back too much?

I sing in a tiny closet to not disturb family members and neighbours, with lots of sound dampening materials maybe that´s what makes it muted.

That's probably it, then.

I sing in a tiny closet to not disturb family members and neighbours, with lots of sound dampening materials maybe that´s what makes it muted.

Hi Olem,

You know my opinion from your 1st version but I would like to say sth more...

If you are worried about disturbing others you are probably inhibiting your abilities.

I really meant it when I said I like your voice 10 times more than Labrie's - it will just take

time to better your performance. I'm not far from where you stand - I'm constantly

working on the same issues you're facing. Every month I hear an slight improvement and

I just keep on doing my exercises, paying attention to breath management, paying attention to pitch

and it works. If you stick to a disciplined routine, you'll be able to rip this song apart.

Best,

Thanos

Not bad dude! Keep on doing what you're doing and the muscles will strengthen where they need to to support your technique. I'm having the same thing with my own voice after learning new ways to use my "instrument".

That's a really tough song with some wicked range so don't be too hard on yourself. You did really well my friend.

"GIDDYUP!"

True that, Mike. This is one of the most difficult songs from one of the most accomplished bands and Olem is has got most of it pretty well handled. This is a band who's complexity rivals that of RUSH and singer who has more range and variability than Geddy Lee (no slight meant to Geddy.)

Not bad dude! Keep on doing what you're doing and the muscles will strengthen where they need to to support your technique. I'm having the same thing with my own voice after learning new ways to use my "instrument".

That's a really tough song with some wicked range so don't be too hard on yourself. You did really well my friend.

Thanx, Snax, but now i am even more confused :) Will the pulling chest thing be beneficial in the end, because some say i am pulling chest and therefore sounded strained and that i have to stop doing that. I am not really sure what i am doing :D

What I was trying to say was that the muscles to support "correct" technique will grow stronger and you won't need to pull chest because your voice will sound full due to placement. I'm a lifelong chest puller and only recently have tried to let go of that chest weight and find out how to add fullness to my head voice. Pulling chest is a very tough habit to break but you'll be glad you did in the end as will I. We're on the same journey. ;)

"GIDDYUP!"