Defying Gravity [Musical/solo version]

Rate this topic

Javastorm

https://app.box.com/s/dnc0qhf770ihrubem25whchyl2x0nptw

I was feeling adventurous today.. It's a song I'm familiar with but never really worked on in depth. The C5's towards the end felt more comfortable to me than the Bb4's, and I remember my teacher saying this would happen at some point because of the way these notes work in a belty sort of configuration. I guess it holds up here, but I'm proud I was able to actively think of and use technique I've learned to even access these notes today.

I usually don't touch Musical Theater, mostly because I'm not sure how it's properly meant to be performed - same reason why I don't go near operatic stuff unless it's the crossover stuff that Josh Groban and similarly styled artists have done. I've done one Rent song, Will I,  but it doesn't really sound like a "theater" song per se to me. Anyway, hope you enjoy and I hope there is some semblance of theatricality to this recording. Any and all feedback welcome.

Hi Javastorm, I am such a theater geek love me some Wicked. I really love the tone of your voice, I always hear a nice warmth in your voice kinda R&Bish without being overt. It's definitely something I struggle with in my singing. I seem to have a very strong and bright voice but the darker shades sometimes are the hardest for me to achieve. I love this song and I really am enjoying your soft verses they are very emotionally charged and flow extremely naturally. I heard only a slightly flat note here and there NOTHING major and it didn't pull me out of the listening enjoyment of the track. At the climax note at the end I could feel you just holding on lol but you made it, a little more support may help on that note. You did a great job on a beautiful song. I am a rocker but I still do not shy away from beautiful songs even if its a song by a woman as I have done Alone (From Heart) on this forum in the past. Quick question is this song in the original key? If so then additional props for doing such a fantastic job. :beerbang:

Thanks George/Musikman, I have yet to actually see Wicked lol, but I love the music. I agree about the support issues towards the end, those high "bring me down's" are damn hard. And nope, this isn't in the original key, it's a fifth below!