Defying Gravity [Musical/solo version]

• TMV World Legacy Member

https://app.box.com/s/dnc0qhf770ihrubem25whchyl2x0nptw

I was feeling adventurous today.. It's a song I'm familiar with but never really worked on in depth. The C5's towards the end felt more comfortable to me than the Bb4's, and I remember my teacher saying this would happen at some point because of the way these notes work in a belty sort of configuration. I guess it holds up here, but I'm proud I was able to actively think of and use technique I've learned to even access these notes today.

I usually don't touch Musical Theater, mostly because I'm not sure how it's properly meant to be performed - same reason why I don't go near operatic stuff unless it's the crossover stuff that Josh Groban and similarly styled artists have done. I've done one Rent song, Will I,  but it doesn't really sound like a "theater" song per se to me. Anyway, hope you enjoy and I hope there is some semblance of theatricality to this recording. Any and all feedback welcome.

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

Hi Javastorm, I am such a theater geek love me some Wicked. I really love the tone of your voice, I always hear a nice warmth in your voice kinda R&Bish without being overt. It's definitely something I struggle with in my singing. I seem to have a very strong and bright voice but the darker shades sometimes are the hardest for me to achieve. I love this song and I really am enjoying your soft verses they are very emotionally charged and flow extremely naturally. I heard only a slightly flat note here and there NOTHING major and it didn't pull me out of the listening enjoyment of the track. At the climax note at the end I could feel you just holding on lol but you made it, a little more support may help on that note. You did a great job on a beautiful song. I am a rocker but I still do not shy away from beautiful songs even if its a song by a woman as I have done Alone (From Heart) on this forum in the past. Quick question is this song in the original key? If so then additional props for doing such a fantastic job. :beerbang:

Thanks George/Musikman, I have yet to actually see Wicked lol, but I love the music. I agree about the support issues towards the end, those high "bring me down's" are damn hard. And nope, this isn't in the original key, it's a fifth below!

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud