Baritone practice High C

It doesn't sound good until those concerns go away ("strain", "difficult", "try not to..."). Start learning how to lean into your head voice resonance more, and slowly turning on the TA muscles as a separate thing. Until you can turn on your TA muscles less than full strength, and hold a head voice position/configuration while doing it, you're simply yelling. Appoggio exercises can also help.

• TMV World Legacy Member
3 hours ago, SwedishSinger said:

In my ears it sounds good

That is one of the problems, You need to listen closer. Once you start to hear the difference in pitch you will get better quick.

Please do not think that I am just being mean. You have the ability and a cool tone when it is in the pocket. Tweaking a few things will give you amazing results.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

4 hours ago, SwedishSinger said:

In my ears it sounds good

Didn't you just say tat you weren't sure if it sounded good? If you don't want advice, then why did you post? However, if you're willing to learn, I've taught for years, and the advice I gave you is exactly what you need to improve your high C. What do you mean when you say you've "begun training on that high C"? Are you taking lessons, and going through specific exercise routines proven to help you reach your goal? Or are you doing this by trial and error? The latter isn't training, But the former, like getting someone experienced and who has a reputation for getting results to walk you through exercises for the advice I gave you, is training.

• 3 weeks later...
  • TMV World Member

Interesting & dope rendition of high C.  I'm working on the same thing for the Bach-Gounod Ave Maria.

Pros: Powerful onset, powerful sustain, nice release. Interesting vibrato ... Sound like throat vibrato because it's powerful

Suggestions:

- approach the high C from above & below, in a verse

- record soft onset and use crescendo to increase volume & add diaphragm vibrato

- use Gee-ya in a scale approaching high C. "G" guarantees vocal compression, and 'ya' guarantee release (like a yawn)

What's the application of this high C? Opera? Rock?