Phoenix Ren - Begin By Letting Go

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi all

Not been on here for a good couple of years but decided to bite the bullet again with singing and learning how to home record using Logic Pro X following training for several months and finding my own voice and not trying to copy others. My artist name is Phoenix Ren and she's only just come out to play this last summer!

I'm pleased so far and know I have to more to give in terms of the voice. I also need some lessons to learn with editing the vocal to avoid 'essing' and 'popping' still being too close to the mic, but I'm keen for feedback on the overall track, balancing etc. I used 2 mixes together for the vocal -  one wet  with some reverb, and one dry with only compression.

I use an SE220a mic and  Focusrite Solo preamp/interface...and a load of mattresses!

• Administrator

Phoenix, sorry to keep you waiting. When I saw that you were a previous member and have taken the time to learn how to make recordings and such... I felt compelled to give you some free time.

- Nice Song! Did you write this?

- Nice Mic, nice preamp. Focusrite stuff is awesome.

Pretty singing... your intonation is ok-good. Could be a little better, but mostly on.

Question, are you singing sort of soft and windy on purpose? Is this a stylistic choice? If so, you then its working fine. If you are not, then i would be concerned as your coach if this windy position is how you sing most of the time. This is very common btw, so I'm not singling you out by any means. Especially ladies... 

My advise would be for you to take up some aggressive training and build the motor skills and strength to get more compression on your vocal folds so that you can make sounds that are not always windy, but have compression. Then you will amplify more color, be louder and have more strength. If you want to be a better singer and you don't have a lot of compression ( vocal twang ) in your singing, it would be very good for you to train to add it to your voice. There's some free advise. Great job practicing and making your recording!

Contact me offline, I'll offer you a great deal on my training program so you can begin training if you like.