Am i baritone or tenor

• TMV World Member

I decided to start singing 4 montjs ago. Im thinking im a baritone. My voice is breathy in this song because 1) i dont want to sing too loudly 2) the song is actually a little above my tessitura, 

i feel. At this point, should i incorporate "headvoice" to sharpen the sound without significantly raising volume? I bring up volume becus i want to be able to sing in a controlled manner without worrying about being too loud Thx

• TMV World Member

drunk tenor? lol

tbh, I dont think anyone can tell much from that clip because you're not really singing lol. You are almost sort of half talking/half singing.  Id be worried about hurting my voice by singing all light and scratchy like that. Probably could tell more from just your speaking voice...or go ahead and sing something where you are actually holding a note so we can hear your real voice etc

In any case, "am I baritone or tenor" is like the most asked question on singing forums....buts its really like the least important thing in the world. Those terms come from classical singing and opera and they dont really have a lot to do with contemporary pop singing. Whether or not we are "baritones" or "tenors" we still want to develop a large range and all of our skills and tone etc etc

I would think that the typical male with an average speaking voice etc is going to be something like a high baritone or a low tenor or something along those lines

Peace, JJ

• TMV World Member

Will upload a video once i get home. Thx for the feedback. Im not so much concerned about being a baritone or tenor; i was just cur. My real problem is controlling volume--because esp on high notes i intuitively want to add more chest which harshens my sound

• TMV World Member

yeah but its so light in this vid its almost like whispering, not singing. I think you are worried too much about "harshening" lol

Who do u want to sound like? (in general)

yeah, its a skill to be able to sing higher etc without getting TOO loud and crazy etc, but u have to have at least some volume etc in order to be able to get vcal cord closure etc.

you can sing headvoice all day without sounding chesty at all. But there is a difference between headvoice (which still has cord closure) and falsetto (which is just breathiness with no real cord closure). one thing to do is find all of your extremes. like sing as quiet as u can and then get louder and stronger and see how strong and loud u can get. THEN work on each little level in between those extremes

• TMV World Member

I am actually a fan of ray charles, hope that answers ur first question. Ive always thought john was a baritone but he sound a bit like a tenor the more i listen to him.

Any specific exercises that help w engaging the muscles w cord closure?ill pot a video of my "headvoice" once i get home, thx

• TMV World Member

in general u just want to get a nice bright tone without a ton of air in it. "breathiness" is cool for an effect but not for all the time. a nice "ee" or "oo" vowel can be good for learning good headvoice...make it nice and bright, not airy

u like Ray Charles but u are worried about singing too harsh?? uhmm, ok lol. He is about as heavy and chesty sounding as it gets

• TMV World Member

Will upload a video once i get home. Thx for the feedback. Im not so much concerned about being a baritone or tenor; i was just cur. My real problem is controlling volume--because esp on high notes i intuitively want to add more chest which harshens my sound

• TMV World Member

Im worried about volume becaus my apartments pretty small and the walls r thin. Its not so much an insecurity, im just tryna be considerate to my neighbors lol Only time i rlly get to belt anything is in the car or when i have enough money to rent out a studio for an hr. Its hard but im managing. But yes, i realize that ray charles is pretty loud, nver had a problem w that. Thx!

• TMV World Member

"Nice bright tone without a ton of air in it"

i actually appreciate this advice. Can u explain to me where i should feel it resonate? Everytime i think of bright, i imagine the my "mask" buzzing. Is that somewhat correct? Thx for the help

• TMV World Member

mask is one place but in general if we are talking headvoice it will be somewhere above the  mouth lol. Like up on the soft/hard palates or up in the head somewhere, back of the head etc. Whereas chest voice tends to really be in the mouth. As u go into higher ranges etc the resonance is definitely going to be moving "up" out of the mouth.

of course it is a gradual thing. A blend or a "mix". The resonance starts to move upwards but its also in the mouth etc. its not an "either/or" thing until u get way up high and it gets to be a little bitty thin note way up high or way back in the head

Thats actually one way to find new sounds. for instance as u go higher, try to get the sound to spread out front to back so its in the back of your head AND somewhat up in the mask area. or start feeling a high note up high but also try to get a little mouth resonance in with it so its not super thin etc

a lot depends on the vowels u sing also. U ever check out the IPA vowel chart? its worth its weight in gold if u can figure it out lol. Some vowels are high up in the back of the head ("oo"), some are high in the front ("ee), some are low in the front of the mouth ("ah" like in "cat") some are low in the back of the mouth ("aww")

each of those positions gives a different feel. The real chesty belty stuff is found more in the "eh" or "ah" positions etc, whereas the lighter headvoice stuff is like 'oo' etc.  forward vowels are brighter, back vowels darker etc

do some googling on IPA vowel chart. there r many different versions with examples etc

its actually a sideview of the mouth as if a person is facing the left tumblr_inline_mulk5sUeT31rplshr.png

IPA-face-image.jpeg

'close' vowels mean the tongue is high so the throat space is "closed". "open" means the tongue is low so the top of the throat is "open"

• TMV World Member

I find that when i try to imitate ray charles the sound is placed really forward against my front teeth, like im chewing a bubble lol

diagram is rlly helpful thx so much for taking the time to oost that. Ill take notes and record results

• TMV World Member

Sry for doible post. Heres the vid i promised. My tone isnt perfect cuz i feel imma bit "heady" on some parts but i was more focused on hitting and feeling the notes w ease. Ur advice on front to back placement rlly helped me connect my headvoice w falsetto, thx. I was surprised at ho meaty it sounded yet i kept the volume minimal. Still room for improvement but thx