New Singer

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi, I have just started singing, and I am wondering if my singing is any good. I did 4 different covers of different styles in rock. They are as follow: Judas Priest - Heading Out To The Highway, Motorhead - Ace Of Spades, Elvis Presley - Blues Suede Shoes, and Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe.

It would really help me if you can critique my singing, tell me what you liked and disliked about it.

Music is here: http://www.reverbnation.com/cr4nk

A BIG Thank You to you guys.

I liked your slight rasp on the Judas Priest song, even though it's not one of the toughest songs to sing. Sometimes you did a bit too much of sliding up and down between pitches, IMO, but that's also just a matter of taste. But yeah, I think you sing well, are (mostly) in tune and have a cool sound to your voice. The single most important thing I'd tell you to do is to always sing the songs like you really, really mean them. And you're already doing that, like 90% or so :) . So just slightly, slightly more of it, I'd say. What do YOU want to improve in terms of vocals, btw.? Do you have any idea about tat? In general I liked your singing man! Cheers.

Thanks for listening and giving me feedback.

I didn't think about what I want to improve on because I just started, I never really sang anything besides singing in a car, and recorded these songs couple of days ago. I play guitar for about 7 or 8 years, and I think that helps me a lot in terms of being in tune. The biggest thing is that it seems a bit weird to me hearing myself sing, and it seems like that's why I can't really judge how my singing is, is this normal for a vocalist? Also I would really appreciate if you could give me a few tips on how to sing a slightly more like I mean it :).

Did you notice any accent in my singing? I learned English when I was about 12 and I am 23 now, and people tell me I have a slight Slavic accent when I speak (I am from Slovakia). So I was just wondering if I have one when I sing.

Thanks

Actually your slavic accent is less noticable that a few others we've had in here. I agree with jonpall. Pick a range, narrow the field a little bit, so to speak. "Heading out to the Highway" was interesting because I wasn't sure you knew the melody line and then, out of nowhere, you would hit this lovely high pitch on key and more solidly than the other parts.

"Hey Joe" sounded good but it's always been kind of spoken song, though, generally, spoken on pitch. Kind of a low soft palate, same on "Blue Suede Shoes." And "Ace of Spades", you did a fairly decent imitation of Lemmy and I don't know anyone who can do that. Just be careful with that. His sound, aside from his natural genetic gifts, is also from 40 years of cigarettes and whiskey.

cr4nk - I think you sound great. Your english sounds good to me. To me, your slight accent can work to your advantage. If you want to learn how to improve your voice there a lot of options for you. It all depends what you want to accomplish.

Thank You all for your replies! After reading them carefully I can really hear what you are all talking about. I have sang yesterday in a band situation with a PA while playing guitar for the first time (a fun thing to do) and I realized that I was straining my voice too much; more than on the recordings you heard. After practice I had sore throat and just a little bit still today. I have decided that I don't what to base my singing solely on rasp or screaming. I am wondering what kind of singing styles/techniques will be helpful to me in rock music. Let me know of my options so I can decide which way to go. Thank You

Keep the larynx stable. (Think of that bump in the front of your throat.) Breathe with your stomach, not your chest. Start a sound with a creak and then get into it, this will teach fuller adduction of the vocal folds. And yawn or slightly smile to lift the small palate in order to have access to the bony cavities in the head to resonate higher notes.

Practice coordination for pitch change by doing descending slides from high to low. And it's best to start out in falsetto or a light volume and tone in order to get the placement correct. These are just some basic things to get started

Archived