AIC cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

Beginner here, been trying now for nearly 5 months.

I've been working pretty hard on my pitching, placing the note and breathing properly.

I think I'm beginning to get somewhere.

Had a go at some harmonies on this too. It's not an exact copy of the original nor is the guitar.

This was recorded with my laptop mike so forgive the sound quality.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10813900/down%20in%20a%20hole.mp3

Some input, critiques and suggestions for improvements would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to get my hands on that entire karaoke file! It's hard to sing soft with support at the same time - thats about all I can say is try adding more support on the lower notes.

www.drop-head.com

I would love to get my hands on that entire karaoke file! It's hard to sing soft with support at the same time - thats about all I can say is try adding more support on the lower notes.

Cheers for the advise, breathing seems to be my big issue. I've a lot of work to do.

That's just me throwing down a few guitar parts quickly to sing over.

I didn't finish the whole song. I was gonna record it properly and play some bass and program some drums for when I can sing it a bit better.

I can post it without vocals when I'm done if you like.

I'm a bit envious that you did better with a desktop mic than I ever did. I still have problems and I have a real studio mic.

Cheers. A shit tone of compression and some soft clipping goes a long way to smoothing it out and removing some of the harshness. It gets quite noisy though as you can hear.

very nice man, loved the harmonies !!

Thanks. Pitching properly is another big problem of mine at the moment and I'm told that trying harmonies helps with improving pitch accuracy.

Here's hoping it does. :)

Good point on the compression. I have learned the hard way that compression is needed on anything analog, such as voice, recorded digitally. And that I really have to pay attention to the dynamics. For example, "Highway to Hell." It's all high and loud, so I can use a higher ratio.

But something that starts soft and gets loud, I have to watch the ratio and the threshold. To make matters worse, Audacity is not real time in the effects. Whatever I choose affects the entire track for the duration of the recording.

• TMV World Member

Beginner here, been trying now for nearly 5 months.

I've been working pretty hard on my pitching, placing the note and breathing properly.

I think I'm beginning to get somewhere.

Had a go at some harmonies on this too. It's not an exact copy of the original nor is the guitar.

This was recorded with my laptop mike so forgive the sound quality.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10813900/down%20in%20a%20hole.mp3

Some input, critiques and suggestions for improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, Sound26. You've got some good things going here. The first thing that occurred to me is that I would like to hear you add a solo melody line to the 2nd instance of the intro chord progression, and then develop that during the short interludes between the sung phrases.

No apologies are necessary for the sound quality. Just fine!

All the best

Best Regards, Steven Fraser

Good point on the compression. I have learned the hard way that compression is needed on anything analog, such as voice, recorded digitally. And that I really have to pay attention to the dynamics. For example, "Highway to Hell." It's all high and loud, so I can use a higher ratio.

But something that starts soft and gets loud, I have to watch the ratio and the threshold. To make matters worse, Audacity is not real time in the effects. Whatever I choose affects the entire track for the duration of the recording.

Does Audacity allow you to split a track?

If not could I suggest that you look at Reaper. It's a free download to trial, and you can trial it for as long as you want. It costs $40.

With Reaper you can split a take up into items and then use dedicated compression settings for each item.

This works great as you can use different FX for each section, like you might a touch of overdrive on a big heavy chorus.

Hey, Sound26. You've got some good things going here. The first thing that occurred to me is that I would like to hear you add a solo melody line to the 2nd instance of the intro chord progression, and then develop that during the short interludes between the sung phrases.

No apologies are necessary for the sound quality. Just fine!

All the best

It is very interesting that you say that if you haven't heard the song before.

Alice In Chains do something almost exactly like that on the third verse of this song.

Thanks, Sound, I'm going to have to look into that, now that you have brought it to my attention. Many times, I review a recording and realize that it doesn't sound like I really sound. There's only one recording of mine that sounds like what I hear of myself.

Forgive me for this digression that follows.

Palius, I see your statement in your sig.

This forum is owned and operated privately by Robert Lunte, who has never asked for donations. Therefore, he uses advertisers. That's the name of the game. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Someone has to pay.

Archived