Some advice on my singing (male)? Innocent - Taylor Swift

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey there, I'm new on this forum. :D Not sure whether I'm good to go just posting a recording right away, but I was really hoping y'all could give me some feedback on my vocals.

I am not the best singer in the world, far from it actually, but I really do love to sing. It's a little bit of an addiction, even though practically everyone has told me that my singing irritates them :P So any tips would be helpful.

Here's my cover of Taylor Swift's Innocent.

http://soundcloud.com/nathaniel-bilforth/me-singing-innocent-taylor

Some things I was hoping to improve on: You might notice that I'm rather "breathy". One is because I have poor breath control, I find I lose my breath fairly quickly. How can I improve this? Two, I find myself trying to improve my tone (which I honestly don't like) and this causes me to use my breath excessively to support a note. Also, I find I can't sustain a note for more than a few seconds, high or low, without it kind of falling flat midway through. Anyone had this problem before.

I feel more comfortable in my mid range then my lover register, but tell me how you think I did. And if you think I sucked, feel free to tell me. But please be constructive, because either way I'll be singing all the time.

• TMV World Legacy Member

I don't think your voice is irritating and I think it would actually sound nice if you were to get it to resonate a bit. You are singing so low down in chest voice that you're getting nothing from your voice. Look around for info on getting into head voice. I personally believe in working top down. Everything in head. It's just a matter of higher and lower. Close those cords man! Get the voice resonating in the pharyngeal area, All those nice holes in your head. Did you think they were for breathing? No way...they are for making beautiful sound! ;)

You need to learn support (breath support). There is a boat load of info on that in the Techniques section. Get some books. And you need to separate chest and head voice and also find a midpoint. But right now I'd say get the voice up in your nasal passages.