Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen (Julia Montgomery) | Any comments welcome

• TMV World Legacy Member

That was good. :) Great job and a beautiful rendition.

If I had to say one thing as a critique...and it's not even a critique...more of a personal taste thing, it would be accent.

I mentioned to someone else I have this thing about accents :D I don't mind country music or if a song is meant to sound country and southern accents are placed in there. That's allowed! :D But if it's by accident then it sometimes doesn't fit. I don't know where you are from and if you even have a southern accent but on words with an "I" (an American I like the sound of "eye" not the Italian ee sound) you are giving in the ole' southern sounding "ah." Only in a couple of spots but that is why I point it out. It stood out to me because it didn't match the rest of the song which was not with any accent. I heard it very strong on the word minor at the beginning. "The minor fall." You say the mahner fahl." Unless you were over shading the vowel?" Either way it was too strong. There was another word later "Tied." Tahd.

Like I said...minor points but as a listener it stands out for me because either the whole song is that way, and then it's ok because I then consider it a country version; or one or two words only for which I think of it as bad pronunciation.

But I have to close by saying that was really sung well :)

• TMV World Legacy Member

That was good. :) Great job and a beautiful rendition.

If I had to say one thing as a critique...and it's not even a critique...more of a personal taste thing, it would be accent.

I mentioned to someone else I have this thing about accents :D I don't mind country music or if a song is meant to sound country and southern accents are placed in there. That's allowed! :D But if it's by accident then it sometimes doesn't fit. I don't know where you are from and if you even have a southern accent but on words with an "I" (an American I like the sound of "eye" not the Italian ee sound) you are giving in the ole' southern sounding "ah." Only in a couple of spots but that is why I point it out. It stood out to me because it didn't match the rest of the song which was not with any accent. I heard it very strong on the word minor at the beginning. "The minor fall." You say the mahner fahl." Unless you were over shading the vowel?" Either way it was too strong. There was another word later "Tied." Tahd.

Like I said...minor points but as a listener it stands out for me because either the whole song is that way, and then it's ok because I then consider it a country version; or one or two words only for which I think of it as bad pronunciation.

But I have to close by saying that was really sung well :)

Thank you. I'll take that into account for future performances :)

J