The Hobbit - Misty Mountains Cold - Elena House

Rate this topic

Hi guys,

I just uploaded my rendition of the Hobbit movie theme song "Misty Mountains Cold".

Filmed on location at "Rock City" Tennessee. That place made the perfect Dwarven mines.

Also ... don't worry... there were no Dragons harmed during the making of this film. LOL

UPDATED LINK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0VkoVlM4b4

Well, Teodur, that's because as a child and teenager, Ronnie James Dio read sci-fi, fantasy, including dungeons and dragons stuff. And so, when he wrote lyrics, that fancy of his was always in his mind. To the point so strongly than when he was with Black Sabbath, they would require him, when writing lyrics, to not use the word rainbow, as it is featured in so many of his songs.

Good stuff, Elena. I have been reading the memoirs of Renee Fleming and many people do not know this but she is the voice of the singing in the third movie. What you were doing here reminded me of that. Anyway, she was amazed at the difference in recording time between an album and a movie. In recording 3 weeks turns out the standard classical album. For several reasons, trained competent musicians who waste no time at all. Second, a standard sound ideal for classical recordings.

But in the movies, they can spend 6 weeks to 2 months to create 10 minutes of something usable. And don't mind spending the money.

But I digress. Good singing.

Well, Teodur, that's because as a child and teenager, Ronnie James Dio read sci-fi, fantasy, including dungeons and dragons stuff. And so, when he wrote lyrics, that fancy of his was always in his mind. To the point so strongly than when he was with Black Sabbath, they would require him, when writing lyrics, to not use the word rainbow, as it is featured in so many of his songs.

Good stuff, Elena. I have been reading the memoirs of Renee Fleming and many people do not know this but she is the voice of the singing in the third movie. What you were doing here reminded me of that. Anyway, she was amazed at the difference in recording time between an album and a movie. In recording 3 weeks turns out the standard classical album. For several reasons, trained competent musicians who waste no time at all. Second, a standard sound ideal for classical recordings.

But in the movies, they can spend 6 weeks to 2 months to create 10 minutes of something usable. And don't mind spending the money.

But I digress. Good singing.

Digress, please digress. I had no idea Renee Fleming sang in "Return of the King". That's so cool.

I used Renee Fleming's videos while learning "Song to the Moon". She's so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch7RKTlqs2A

Digress, please digress. I had no idea Renee Fleming sang in "Return of the King". That's so cool.

I used Renee Fleming's videos while learning "Song to the Moon". She's so good.

I thought I detected that influence.

Anyway, I have been reading her memoirs and want to quote her in my sig. "Rulsaka" is one of her favorites to perform, including "Song to the Moon."

But yes, she goes into detail about what it took to record her parts in the movie soundtrack. Essentially, she had to drop all the florid and bel canto to sing as if a boy was singing. But it gave her a finer appreciation for vibrato. Once you struggle to keep vibrato out, you then notice, later, the slightest influence of it.

She always seeks a coach for each new role, plus "spot" coaches throughout the year. She has always been the "perfect student" and it took some bravery to step out on her own.

One of my favorite quotes from her (paraphrased) "The most important thing a singer can say is "No." "

What is meant by that is to know your voice and to know its limits at a place in time. If you have been singing Mozart, don't sing Wagner next week. Not until you have re-acclimated to Wagner. And that is only if you have the knowledge that your voice can handle Wagner. For some wagnerian singers fry themselves on Mozart, with it's lighter tones and sustained passages. That is, the best thing for your voice and its longetivity is not just all the stuff that you can do, but the stuff you should not do.

I know many people have the goal in mind and pride themselves on the notion that they can sing anything there is to sing. And absolutely none of them, not a single one of them, is speaking from the perspective of a trained opera singer who has had a more busy schedule than most any other singer in history with the harsh experience to have that realization.

Learn what your voice can do, and do that. Which is similar to what a lot of rock singers say, as well. Just as importantly, avoid styles or sounds for which your voice is not suited.

I just had to practice that "say no" process during a skype rehearsal with my concert producer in Switzerland. The producer wanted to add more singing but I had to tell him that what we already set out is my limit for my age.

If you hadn't heard about the concert I put the info in this Vlog. It's pretty exciting. They found me through my Youtube channel and are flying my whole family to Switzerland for me to be the main singer in their Christmas (Winter Solstice) concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_fHPNe0Wyw

• Administrator

Elena House wrote :

They found me through my Youtube channel and are flying my whole family to Switzerland for me to be the main singer in their Christmas (Winter Solstice) concert.

That's AWESOME !!! I'd like to be the first to congratulate you, Elena :):cool:

Note : I tried to listen to your latter two videos and I get the message that the "..... the account has been deleted..."

?????

Warmest Regards as ALWAYS,

Adolph

Note : I tried to listen to your latter two videos and I get the message that the "..... the account has been deleted..."

?????

Warmest Regards as ALWAYS,

Adolph

My email was hacked and they caused my Youtube channel to be suspended.

I had 6,000 subscribers and now I get to start all over.

Please share my new channel. http://www.youtube.com/ElenaHouseTV

Thanks Adolph.