The Skid Row Experiment

• TMV World Legacy Member

I wanted to learn this one for Karaoke night - but just don't have the skill for this one, nor do I have the right timbre for it. I tried anyway. This song kicked my as* from start to finnish. I even got hoarse while singing it. I had to take a 5 minute break before trying the end - which is a nightmare. Maybe in another year I'll try again. But for now, I am scrapping the idea of singing this one.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12040399&q=hi&newref=1

www.drop-head.com

I had a period where I almost exclusively sang skid rows songs. It required a LOT of practice and often I felt like I was going to pass out. I eventually stopped and today I can't sing these songs convincingly :rolleyes: My voice isn't used to the high notes anymore. Of course bach's high register is pretty much kaput nowadays, because he was constantly screaming those high notes. It sounds great on record but it's very hard to find decent live footage of him (there were some decent performances in between). He was very keen on letting the crowd help him in the choruses and I don't blame him one bit:P IMO I think it's better for a singer's overall vocal health to save those screaming notes for one chorus or so and focus on a sexy voice in the range he's comfortable in. That's one of my goals :)

Here's a giggle for you, Keith. I got my own butt kicked by "I Remember You." And that one is in my range. My mistake, I was trying to sound like Baz. And not making it. I can sing it now, because I sing it in my voice.

I didn't have a backing track, just played my guitar. Still got my butt kicked.

And that would be my advice to you. Sing in your own voice.

And it's hard not to compare to the original. And yes, OP, is right, Baz has lost some range, these days, though he still puts on a good show.

You have good pitch, as always. And, to me, that is probably the most important thing, regardless of the timbre of the note. I was thinking that it might be easier for you if you get a little more forward in the mask. I know you were already forward in it. Like the Ford commercial, go further.

Whatever you want to do, friend. It may have kicked your butt, and Baz stuff has kicked mine, at times, until I got out of my own way.

It's also cool to re-key a song. I have done that a few times, myself.