Trying "Alone" by Heart (acapella)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi!

The chorus in this song is a beast full of A4´s to C5´s. The hardest note for me to sing is the B4, my voice wants to go from the A4 up to the C5 and skip the B4. Is it because my second transition is there? Well, tell me what you think and give critique, bad or good, all kinds are welcome as long as it is constructive. Merry christmas!

https://www.box.com/s/e76mxwy0rkbwnr5gotgr

Hello, Justin! Thanx for listening. Well, i feel like i have to use alot of support for those notes and it´s very tiring. I have tried to make it lighter and more easy but then it sounds falsettoish.

Well, it's also because you are probably at the limit of your voice, both dynamic range and artistic range.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to get a Heart song stuck in the head. Earlier this week, the lyrics kept running through my head.

"Where do we take it now, now that we caught fire.

Where do we go from here, out of this desire.

Should I have dropped my guard

At the risk of being used?"

So I would have to sing it a few times, thinking, if I do that, it will give me some rest. Nope, I was stuck with it for a couple of days.

I have an advantage over you. I'm closer to Anne's sound than you are. :lol:

I never thought sounding like a girl would have advantages. :lol::lol:

Dude, you have such a "rock" voice. Like you've got a natural rasp or grit. For this song, if I were you, I might transpose to an easier key to manage. Nothing wrong with that. Otherwise, you will likely find struggle. Not that you were off pitch but everyone has a tough time at the absolute highest pitch they can make. And it sounded like you were close to it.

I would like to hear a full cover of this.

Thanx for your answer, Ron. I think you are right. When it comes to belting, which i think is the mode i sing here i don´t think i can sing much higher. I don´t have a natural rasp, i have to support quite hard to get it and when i come to the higher notes i find it extremely difficult and usually end up in a scream mode. I love Heart and melodic rock, it is my favourite genre.

Olem, having sang Heart songs, I can just about say that Anne sings a lot in head voice, even for a female. And in that, she resonates like crazy, creating a "belty" sound, though it is not a chest belt. I can do the head belt, just ask Keith. :lol: He's mixed a few recordings of mine. Last thing he did for me was "Child in Time" and he had to use 4:1 compression and few other things and I still clipped it.

Where as you have a chestier tone. Which is so cool. You have something others would give their eyeteeth to have. So, work with that. Transpose it, change the vocal melody to suit yourself. Leave the "sounding like a girl" to me.

Make this a "man's" song.

Hahahah, Ron, and i thought you were more of man than me, 6.5 feet tall and knows martial arts. But Anne is not singing entirely in head on the upper notes, it´s a mix right? A mix of chest and head. Thanx for listening, Keith.