Any critique or suggestions welcome

Rate this topic

You sound fairly relaxed on this. Hearing it again, I am hearing a wobble on the ee sound, such as in "leave." I was thinking maybe you could shade a little more toward eh. Each voices tunes differently. Or, as I like to say, you cannot sing the same way that you speak. And some vowels are just easier than others. Especially at first, as we go through vowels the way we speak them and it's a subtle change to move away from it, just a little.

And I hear shades of Arlo Guthrie in your voice. ("Yes, sir, officer Opie, I did put my letter at the bottom of that 1500 pounds of garbage.")

As I am likely the only one who will comment, this being a country song, I think you did a good job. And sing the lyrics more than you would speak them. Which means different vowel forms. How did it feel to you when singing this? Where there spots that felt strained or odd?

:) Thanks Ron. I did feel more relaxed singing this. I have been "singing" folk songs for so long in a singy speaky kind of way that it is hard to break the habit. Taking into account the advice that I have been given here is helping alot.

Although I have to say that I am somewhat disapointed in the fact that I have actually tried to post this song 3 times in the last few weeks and you were the only one that made any attemt at responce.

This may be concidered by some a "Country" song and some may not even listen past the first few beats and hear a country bass line to determine that they are not interested. We have also been told that we should try to not let genre influence us when it comes to critique.

I could post (and I may just do this) A BEEGEES song and I guarentee the beginning guitar accompaniment would make it sound like a country song because I accompany myself on an acoustic guitar.

Someone could easily suggest after hearing the song that instead of a country bass line I put in a Jazz bass line and more people would comment on it. I may just do that and post to give me critique on my jazz song. Or put a progressive bass line in it.

If the song is truely not working the way it is or there is major work to my voice to be done before I sing in public

Please let me know.

I didn't think of that. M, what a good idea. Re-do the song as jazz. Just for giggles, whether anyone likes it or not.

I like such things, just for artistic reasons. It doesn't always have to be just like the original.

Nobody does a DYLAN song like the original. I guess the Animals should have done "House of the rising Sun" like the original blues men sang it. At least one of the 50 or so "Original" singers.

Any way I would not have to change anything at all except the bass line to change it from one genre to another.

I have heard Coverdale sing songs accompanied by an acoustic. I have heard KISS sing songs accompanied by an acoustic........ It doesn't make the song country.

Besides the fact that this song was also covered by Tina Turner and Jeff Beck. They are big Country Stars aren't they?

It could be that country is the black sheep of the forum. So many members are into heavy metal and prog metal. When I first put up my cover of "Live Like You Were Dying" by Tim McGraw, there was one reply at the time, by the only other person in the forum that would admit a passing aquaintance with country music. Another time, I put up a cover of "Angel in Blue" by the J. Geils Band. Not a single response. Not "you stink, for the love of God please quit making that noise," not "good job," not "the vowel is too narrow here and the sound is too spread there." Nothing, nada, nichts, zilch, zip, swabo.

Sometimes, it just ain't up their allley. So, on some songs, I didn't even put up for review, just loaded to my personality page, relegating it to just as much obscurity. For example, I do a cover of "Locomotive Breath" by Jethro Tull. It doesn't need "work." It's in an easy part of the range, I know I do it well, even from my own perspective where I can hear my own pitchiness.

And if I posted it here, it would not get a response. It's not rock enough, not proggy enough. I don't recall. I may have posted it in the forum but there was the lack of response thing. It just wasn't "Painkiller" by Judas Priest.

But if I did "Hallelujah" or "Aces High," I would get a bunch of feedback, including, mostly, how to sound exactly like Bruce Dickinson. I once did a prog metal cover. Mostly, I think, in my own voice or how I sing songs, even though I was trying to sound like the original singer. Got my butt spanked hard. Including being told that I should not sing that song unless I can sound just like the original singer.

Okay.

So, learning to stay away from the holy writ of others ....

I liked Coverdale's acoustic versions of his songs. A lot of warmth, not a lot of high notes.

Look at the young lady that just did a country cover. A reply from a new guy, one from you, one from me. None from the other members. But she did a cover of "Hallelujah" and that got a wider response, I think.

When Tommy posts a blues song, I am just about one of the few to post. Others, not so much. Its' blues, not heavy metal, prog metal, or something by Journey. It's not even on their radar.

And that's okay, I am not condemning others. Sometimes, it's better if they don't comment on a genre with which they are not familiar. Maybe it's better that you only get comments from people, such as myself, that are familiar with and don't have a religious objection to country music. For, in the real world, that would also be your audience. You would be playing this song in a cowboy's roadhouse, not while opening for Iron Maiden.

:) Maybe I'll find something by Coverdale, DIO or Lou Gramm to butcher(I mean sing). I know I am in no way ready for that. That is why I put it that way.

I would love to sing Foreigner or Boston or Journey. I do not have the chops for that yet.

Maybe I will post a BAD COMPANY cover. I am not looking far appoval but improvement.

In Dylans song I was trying to shade towards ih with the drawn out "Leave" part. It is hard to break bad habits.

My brother used to Jump an octave halfway through that part and finish the phrase in head voice. If I can find an audio file of him singing it I will post that.

In Dylans song I was trying to shade towards ih with the drawn out "Leave" part. It is hard to break bad habits.

My brother used to Jump an octave halfway through that part and finish the phrase in head voice. If I can find an audio file of him singing it I will post that.

That would be interesting.

As far as posting something that might garner more response, I wouldn't worry about it. I mean, you could, just for the novelty of it, like you did with the Ozzy Osbourne song, but it's okay to stick with what you know.

We've had a few others come in here with a country voice and country songs and they pretty much have what they need to go for it. And do so.

I think it's only the ones that want to sing heavy metal like opera that worry more about it.

But, as usual, the country folk usually only get a response from me, just about no one else.

Then, again, I don't have a religious objection to country music.

I am an odd guy, I suppose.

Hello man !

I've been listening your singing and I think you should strengthen your vibrato. Nice voice but I think you need to make your vibrato clearer and stronger ^^ .I don't know this song but I like it !

Thanks for the suggestion. I am working on vibrato. I do not want to force anything yet. Once I get the support down I believe the vibrato will come. My singing is a work in progress. Any advice is helpful.

If you knew the song you would realise it is far from the original. It was written by Bob Dylan. Some people frown on making major changes to a song. But I believe that if you connect to the lyrics but not the music Change it. Janice Joplin did not write Bobby McGee and she did not sing it anything like the original. Yet it was her biggest hit. That song did not become a big hit in the original form.