Need help! I can (normally) sing on key,hate my vocal tone.

• TMV World Legacy Member

I hate my vocal tone! I can normally sing on key lately, but my tone is blegh. Here are some clips so you all can hear for yourself (Please ignore the Worship band one and the Iris one. Worship band one I'm not the primary singer, and Iris is badly off key):

Thanks in advance,

=========

Man In Black

Your pitch is good. And you are singing in a good part of your voice, where you have the widest amount of control. A good place to start.

And here's what's wrong with your tone. Way too nasal. More apparent on "Simple Man" than "Broken." Mixing problems on the track aside (way too much treble), your consonants and esses are way to hard. Which means you are singing with a nearly closed mouth. Which means most of the tone is going through your nose. And that is most noticable on "Simple Man."

Stop it.

Open your mouth, just a little. Let the tone bounce off the juncture of the soft and hard palate. The tone actually comes out of your mouth even if some of the resonance is happening behind the sinus. Nasal resonance is not the same as nasal tone.

At least, in my amateur perspective.

You know how to sing the songs and you have good emotion. Just use less nose in the tone. Some might give me grief, since we have recently been having discussions on nasality.

Anyway, aim for a rounder tone.

Your pitch is good. And you are singing in a good part of your voice, where you have the widest amount of control. A good place to start.

And here's what's wrong with your tone. Way too nasal. More apparent on "Simple Man" than "Broken." Mixing problems on the track aside (way too much treble), your consonants and esses are way to hard. Which means you are singing with a nearly closed mouth. Which means most of the tone is going through your nose. And that is most noticable on "Simple Man."

Stop it.

Open your mouth, just a little. Let the tone bounce off the juncture of the soft and hard palate. The tone actually comes out of your mouth even if some of the resonance is happening behind the sinus. Nasal resonance is not the same as nasal tone.

At least, in my amateur perspective.

You know how to sing the songs and you have good emotion. Just use less nose in the tone. Some might give me grief, since we have recently been having discussions on nasality.

Anyway, aim for a rounder tone.

Oh my gosh you're my new favorite person ever! That helped so much!:D

Oh my gosh you're my new favorite person ever! That helped so much!:D

And believe me, I am glad that you took it in the spirit that I meant it, as a guide or suggestion, something to help you. I think you've got some good basics going.

Just as I have often been helped by one little suggestion. Sometimes, it's the subtle things that make all the difference.

It sounds like you are "Trying" to do something special with your voice. Like there is some kind of effect you are striving for. The reason I write that is because the first part of a word will be louder and forced sounding and then it will trail off becoming softer. At this point do not try to add any "Special" characteristics like a growl or fry or distortion. It sounds like you can have a very nice tone. If you try to force a tone that is not your natural tone you will just create more problems.

If you are not "trying" to create a tone that you do not have then I would say practice holding a steady note. What I mean by a steady note is a note that sounds the same from start to finish with no trailing off. The same volume from beginning to end.

There is a good voice there.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

It sounds like you can have a very nice tone. If you try to force a tone that is not your natural tone you will just create more problems.

If you are not "trying" to create a tone that you do not have then I would say practice holding a steady note. What

It almost sounds like you are saying that voices are individual and unique and should be respected as such. Or, I am presupposing for my own self-interest.

Anyway, there is room in this car for one more ....

\m/

It almost sounds like you are saying that voices are individual and unique and should be respected as such. Or, I am presupposing for my own self-interest.

Anyway, there is room in this car for one more ....

\m/

Yes Ron, We are all individuals. We should at least start in the beginning as ourselves. Later we can strive to be someone else. :)

I did want to add before that I am not a teacher just someone who shares in the joy of singing.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

It sounds like you are "Trying" to do something special with your voice. Like there is some kind of effect you are striving for. The reason I write that is because the first part of a word will be louder and forced sounding and then it will trail off becoming softer. At this point do not try to add any "Special" characteristics like a growl or fry or distortion. It sounds like you can have a very nice tone. If you try to force a tone that is not your natural tone you will just create more problems.

If you are not "trying" to create a tone that you do not have then I would say practice holding a steady note. What I mean by a steady note is a note that sounds the same from start to finish with no trailing off. The same volume from beginning to end.

There is a good voice there.

Thanks! And yeah I kinda add to it sometimes because my own tone is so whiny and monotone and I hate it, so I try to change it. I want to lead Worship music this July and I don't feel good enough.

I did a few more, this time with my mouth more open. Any better?

(Bridge right here is WAY off, I know.)