Pitching Problems (What exercises can help with pitch?)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi, I did a test earlier this morning, a drill my teacher prescribed. Pretty sure I was supposed to stop at C but with it I was able to go higher than I ever have, so I apparently hit A5, but I think it might've been falsetto. (Of course that's much harder in actually singing.) But I'm pretty sure it strained my voice and I wasn't able to sing other songs without being hoarse so I stopped practicing, and drank a lot of water, and I'm gonna give my voice a rest for maybe a day, just in case.

Sidenote: I've taken your advice to try to stay away from really high notes until I can nail the lower ones and have more support and not have to scream, but I was just curious here. This was an exercise to try to keep my larynx still and you'll hear where that failed, as I blurt it out :P

Anyway, with these daily exercises, I set it up on a track with a Tuner plugin in Logic, so I can listen back and try to adjust my voice because of pitchiness. It's not that bad, but you hear that falling off at the end of each note? That's something I want to change. I want to eventually get to a point where I'll never have to use an autotune.

And the tuner goes crazy and is very hard to read because it shoots all over the place (not sure if its good for vocals), but I can see that I'm rarely right on pitch, always a little bit sharp or flat, or sometimes a lot, but it still registers as that note.

So I'm wondering if you have any advice on fixing that kind of pitch problem? An exercise I can try to gradually hit the blue (that's perfectly accurate on the tuner) or at least closer to it? Or might that just be something that gets better as your support gets stronger?

http://picosong.com/nmYx/

And while we're at it, do you have any advice on expanding range lower? Mine stops being coherent (just turns to growls, can't make words of it no matter how hard I try) at G2ish, and I'd like to be able to go to E2, because that's "the word is all of US" on Speak by Queensryche.

Heres how that goes for me:

http://picosong.com/nmeS/

Here's how it should sound:

(Skip to 42 secs)

Thanks!

As far as the note dropping towards the end of production. Think of the note continuing instead of letting it trail off. Practice a quick end to the note. Think that you are going to hold the note for 3 seconds but end the note by taking a breath while the note is still sounding.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Hey MDEW, so do you mean end my singing note quicker, and use the leftover time to take more breath for the next one? Because when you say "take a breath while the note is still sounding" I don't think I can breath in while still singing. Sorry I just woke up so I may've misunderstood :P

Hey MDEW, so do you mean end my singing note quicker, and use the leftover time to take more breath for the next one? Because when you say "take a breath while the note is still sounding" I don't think I can breath in while still singing. Sorry I just woke up so I may've misunderstood :P

The point is you cannot make the note while you take a breath. End the note by taking the breath. Do not stop the note then take a breath.

You keep the note strong by making your body think that the note must last longer.

It's psychological thing. you trail off because your body is thinking "I hit the notes I don't have to work anymore" You fool it into thinking it must keep this note strong for a few more seconds.