New to Singing - Advice/Critique

• TMV World Legacy Member

First time every posting anything of myself online, or really of anyone else listening to me sing.

I've never really considered myself a singer, but really love singing and want to improve. I get the impression that its pretty much a requirement? to get a teacher if you really do want to improve and learn good technique. A question I have here is how can I, as a relatively inept singer/student recognize if the teacher is worth his/her salt?

I've got a long ways to go, but wanted to get some feedback on some things I'm doing poorly or to focus on, as I begin to work on trying to improve myself. Put two different songs with different styles for people to listen to?

These songs are really slow and in a low range making it harder to stay in pitch or keep the melody line moving. You had some good vibrato going. Vibrato is usually a sign that other things are in place like support.

Are you more interested in the slow, mellow singing or did you choose these songs because they were easier for you to sing?

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I'm most interested in classical singing, which I guess does tend to be slower. I picked the songs because one was on the lower end and the other has quite a few higher notes which might be useful for knowing what is good/bad. I'm not really that knowledgeable about singing (yet anyway) though, so I don't know for sure.

I could also post something a bit quicker if desired.

All of your notes are unstable - waivering in and out of tune. your vibratto is uneven. Your tone sounds like you are trying to hold back, and also it is full of air. Like anyone new to singing, you have some work to do. Get a coach, or a teaching program. or, Build yourself a workout using the informatin contained in this forum. When you do any kind of vocal workout, it is important to know exactly what the specific exercise is supposed to accomplish. Read through the articles here that have to do with support and breathing. Without proper support and breathing, everything else will fail - like a brick house built on egg cartons.

www.drop-head.com

All of your notes are unstable - waivering in and out of tune. your vibratto is uneven. Your tone sounds like you are trying to hold back, and also it is full of air. Like anyone new to singing, you have some work to do. Get a coach, or a teaching program. or, Build yourself a workout using the informatin contained in this forum. When you do any kind of vocal workout, it is important to know exactly what the specific exercise is supposed to accomplish. Read through the articles here that have to do with support and breathing. Without proper support and breathing, everything else will fail - like a brick house built on egg cartons.

Thanks! It does make sense that having this correct would be paramount.

Any recommendations on good programs and/or how to tell if a coach is a good one?