After more work....please critique.....thanks- Lodi cover

• Review My Singing Membership

Continuing on this journey. Trying to sing rather than speak. My goals are to sing on key even though I don't think I have a pleasant voice....not make a fool of myself setting around a jam session and who knows, maybe even an open mic if I get real brave. All honest feedback greatly appreciated.

• TMV World Legacy Member

I remember when the song came out. And I like your country version. You have a good tone of voice, you have a good country accent, you have an obvious knack for arrangement to fit this song in your genre. And it's absolutely okay to do this in a lower key, as you did, than the original.

What you don't have is pitch control. You are a bit flat, here and there.

So, take the advice in your own words. Sing this song, don't speak it. You are mostly speaking in this. So, stop speaking and sing it. Play a note on the guitar and hold that note until you are "even" with the note. Once you get that, memorize how that felt. Then your mind will have a concept of the note or notes involved.

Thank you. I am continuing to work on the singing v speaking. Just trying not to make a fool of myself. Was it on key for the most part anyway? I did a little work with a coach and she suggested stay in the key of C for the time being. This singing stuff is hard :( Other comments are so much appreciated.....thanks

Thank you. I am continuing to work on the singing v speaking. Just trying not to make a fool of myself. Was it on key for the most part anyway? I did a little work with a coach and she suggested stay in the key of C for the time being. This singing stuff is hard :( Other comments are so much appreciated.....thanks

A good way to break the speaking vs singing delemma is to sing songs that are a little higher but still in your range. Use songs that demand a little more power.

You may think JOHN PRINE or Johnny Cash is cool. I can sing those they are in my range. Problem is they are too close to speaking range. Notes that are in that range need just as much support as in the higher range when singing.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Thank you....I will definitely keep working and taking the advice.....as far as what you heard this time- I know it can be better but was it ok, bad, would you throw tomatoes if you heard it at open mic?

To be honest it sounded like you were not putting much effort into it. Like you were not trying to sing the song but lazily saying the words while strumming the guitar.

Even on the most laidback depressed song that was ever written there will be a passion implied. Maybe just the love of not having to work.

Passion is what gives a song its drive and excitement.

The passion in LODI is based on frustration. The man from the magazine said that I have what it takes to make it to the big time. I sold everything I had. Gave up my family, my job, my house. Took off looking for new places to play and make a name for myself.......WHAT DID I DO??? He told me I could Make IT...I have lost every thing and now I cannot even make enough money to leave this ^&*(&^%$ place )..... There is deep emotion in this song. It is not a sleepy tune.

I really think that your voice will sound as good as anyone else with work. Even if pitch is off a little, if the message of the song comes through that is half the battle.

Read the words of a song. Find the message. Find the passion. Go from there.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Elwin has a good point, too.

I was recording a vocal track. Missed a cue the first time.

Botched a lyric the second time.

Pitchy, the third time.

4th time was a charm, finally relaxed and let it go.

Or, as MDEW would say, "Take one thousand and fort-nine ..... and a half."