Critique My Singing/ Elton John Your Song

• TMV World Legacy Member

So here's a small clip of me singing Elton John's Your Song. I haven't practiced it much and I'm off pitch in quite a few areas, I also messed up the lyrics :| I going to record the whole song soon with better audio quality, I just wanted to know what you guys thought of it in the mean time. I've been singing for about a year now and I'm still really not happy with how my voice sounds. I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!!:D

Hey Coffeejon,

The problem with your recording is that the vocals are so low compared to the music. Very difficult to hear what you are singing. I do hear some pitchyness but cant confirm unless the vocals are higher in volume.

From what I can hear, it sounds like you have a nice tone to your voice, and that it is a bit pitchy. Sorry I cant give you more input.

Best of luck

Gilad

My Original songs:
A new day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfozwtLCdY
I can't believe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFMTnOVwaIY
Thank you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8VVHp535Bw

So here's a small clip of me singing Elton John's Your Song. I haven't practiced it much and I'm off pitch in quite a few areas, I also messed up the lyrics :| I going to record the whole song soon with better audio quality, I just wanted to know what you guys thought of it in the mean time. I've been singing for about a year now and I'm still really not happy with how my voice sounds. I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!!:D

Promising, but make sure you nail the pitch! Some timing issues as well but mostly pitch issues. Listen to the original so you know the melody perfectly!

Going for the elton john (original) version, right?

When i said promising i was mostly talking about your "tone". If you nail pitch/timing it will sound great. I'd start working on pitch, but that's just me!

What Gilad said. The tone of your voice is just fine. But you have some pitchy spots. What some people do is break a song down into each component. Fix the components, then put it back together.

And yeah, if you were recording in a bathroom or allarge room, pick a different room. The room presence is making a muddy mess and we want to hear your voice a little more clearly, warts and all.

I just downloaded a demo of Mixcraft, so if the program works well for me I'll try to re-record it for better quality - obviously after I work out my pitch problems too.

Thanks for the input :D

on the whole, you've got the song in your bones. That;s a good thing. Just take the sections where you have pitchiness (places that are a little more sung than conversational) and do those parts really, really slow. Then, put them back in. That's what I mean about breaking down to parts.

I will sometimes do the same thing. Work on just one set of verses in the song. Or just the pre-chorus and the chorus.

Some of my better recordings and performances have come from doing just that. Doing just a part of the song, rather than the pressure of doing the whole song.

And you should read some of the threads in the recording section.

People think that "YOUR SONG" would be an easy song to sing because most of the notes fall in the speaking range. Actually it falls just below the speaking range and most of the intervals are small making the song more difficult to sing. When the song calls for more intensity people will often raise the pitch instead of raising the volume.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

People think that "YOUR SONG" would be an easy song to sing because most of the notes fall in the speaking range. Actually it falls just below the speaking range and most of the intervals are small making the song more difficult to sing. When the song calls for more intensity people will often raise the pitch instead of raising the volume.

Do you know how high ewan mcgregor sings it? Quite a few changes in that version but still...

I had never heard this until now. Thanks. Lower soft singing in the beginning and small intervals are still problematic. Either way it is an awesome song.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Ewan is one of my favorite actors. He was great and sang his own role in "Velvet Goldmine," too.

And he and friend/actor Charley Boorman are bikers and made two documentaries of their motorcycle trips. "Longway Round" and the second, I think, is "Longway Down." The first was around the world, starting Ewan's homeland of Scotland. The trip ended with the Tuttles of "American Chopper" riding into New York City with them. Longway Down was, I think, from Nova Scotia down to the tip of South America.

And Ewan can sing, too. Way cool.