Ain't No Mountain High Enough - self duet

• TMV World Legacy Member

Because it's really uncomfortably hot in my house this morning and I can't sleep.

Kinda fun... I give myself a 5/10 on this attempt.

UPDATE! Please provide feedback for my NEWEST Kodaline High Hopes Practice Cover - http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=10062

My Soundcloud- http://soundcloud.com/bchen929 -
A continuous work in progress, always improving.

I liked it. You've got a lot of soul in your voice.

And I liked "Independence Day," too. Is that you playing the guitar in that one? Nice, if it was.

Sounded Good. You may have had A SLOW START but it sounds like you are making progress. :P

I realize this was a spur of the moment thing to get your mind off of the heat but if you keep working on this you could nail it.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Ok I'm no expert but I'm hearing a squeezed, high larynx type of sound. Also, the falsetto choir doesn't work in my opinion.

All in all it's not bad. There's a lot of good things in your voice so keep on practicing! :)

Nick

The chest voice stuff is great. Maybe clean up the pitch and vowel colors a bit but it's 95% there.

You need a lot more intrinsic musculature in the head voice. Lower your larynx, twang harder and compress harder up there.

Work on some specialized onsets. Take a look at the quack and release onset starting at 3:15 in this video, work on that for a while to strengthen your twang. Then move onto working on dampen and release onsets which is just a heavy low larynx onset on the consonant "b", you can hear Rob demonstrating it in his newer videos. And then to put it all together, check out the contract and release onset at 13:00, work on that once the other two onsets are going well.

If you're not getting it, take a skype lesson with him, have him help you out.

But that is basically where you need to go from here. Spend a few months beefing up your head voice, reattempt this cover and it will sound badass.

I liked it. You've got a lot of soul in your voice.

And I liked "Independence Day," too. Is that you playing the guitar in that one? Nice, if it was.

Thanks, Ron! It is indeed me playing guitar in recording for Independence Day! Oh man, the old originals. :)

Sounded Good. You may have had A SLOW START but it sounds like you are making progress. :P

I realize this was a spur of the moment thing to get your mind off of the heat but if you keep working on this you could nail it.

Thanks! I'm definitely a bit past my original slow slow start now... thank goodness. Definitely appreciate the encouragement, MDEW.

Ok I'm no expert but I'm hearing a squeezed, high larynx type of sound. Also, the falsetto choir doesn't work in my opinion.

All in all it's not bad. There's a lot of good things in your voice so keep on practicing! :)

Thanks, Nick! I can feel that in some parts I was more squeezed than I could have been for sure. I feel like it could have been from not enough support on the higher notes, barely staying above the creaky level.

The chest voice stuff is great. Maybe clean up the pitch and vowel colors a bit but it's 95% there.

You need a lot more intrinsic musculature in the head voice. Lower your larynx, twang harder and compress harder up there.

Work on some specialized onsets. Take a look at the quack and release onset starting at 3:15 in this video, work on that for a while to strengthen your twang. Then move onto working on dampen and release onsets which is just a heavy low larynx onset on the consonant "b", you can hear Rob demonstrating it in his newer videos. And then to put it all together, check out the contract and release onset at 13:00, work on that once the other two onsets are going well.

Thanks for the advice, Owen! I agree that more competence with these onsets will definitely help. I've begun dabbling with them some, and I think I can attribute a good amount of my progress to the strengthening of certain coordinations with those exercises (and among other thangs). Will continue to work it and see where it gets me. I can now hit the upper chorus line in a full metallic voice here and there, but not with what I would consider any consistency (yet!)

I appreciate the kind words as well. The comments about chest voice sounding good is encouraging because my chest voice used to get stuck at D4 or E4 lol

UPDATE! Please provide feedback for my NEWEST Kodaline High Hopes Practice Cover - http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=10062

My Soundcloud- http://soundcloud.com/bchen929 -
A continuous work in progress, always improving.