First Zoom R8 Recording (Journey - Lights)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Gear: Zoom R8, Shure Beta 87A Mic, Alesis Quadraverb circa 1989.

Done on one take 2 weeks after a sinus infection & strept throat.

Be kind...:D but please give advice.

Shawn

If that's what a sinus infection and strep throat make you sound like where can I get them?

Seriously though that was good. Not too familiar with Journey or the original of this so can't assess accuracy but it all sounded good technique wise.

I am familiar with the Journey cover.

You did fine, Shawn. I also liked your cover of "We All Die Young."

On both songs you don't really sound like the original singer, though you are pretty much following the original arrangements.

By the way, don't care about the strep throat, sinus, whatever. No excuses, no apologies, ever.

You always do the best that you can, that given day, when you step up to the mic. It's the difference between live and studio. When you offer what is wrong with, people like my brother will say, "why don't you wait until you are physically well enough so that you don't have to make excuses?" Yeah, my brother really is like that, bless his heart. :D Or is that a thumping gizzard? I can't tell and stethoscopes cannot differentiate the two.

But yeah, if this is what you can do live, on any given day, regardless of physical malady, well that is quite good. That is what would make you a pro, as a matter of fact.

I did not hear any tension or pitch problems. You do not sound like Steve or any of the other Journey singers which is a good thing. I would have liked to hear your voice a little louder in the mix but I am listening through crappy headphones and a laptop.

I enjoyed it and I may listen again later. :)

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."