Another cover...different style....PLEASE critique...thanks

• Review My Singing Membership

Here I am again with another cover. This one is a little different than what I've been doing. Different strumming vs country (bass/strum etc) I also ventured out into a different key and actually tried the original key that Dylan used. I'm still working on trying to stay with the flow of the melody. Anyway, I'm not sure what to make of it. Any objective ears and comments are greatly appreciated. Does it sound "musical" if that makes any sense?

• TMV World Legacy Member

It could be that most people just aren't into commenting on a country style song. Or, they don't understand the performance.

For you have left out just about all the melody in the song. You sing this mostly on one note, which is an interesting effect. And possibly makes it unrecognizable to others. I had to check out the associated videos of this title to get a feel for everyone else does it. It's one of the few songs where I could stand to hear Dylan's own voice. Otherwise, I always preferred his songs being covered by someone else. Nothing against Dylan, just his timbre didn't always agree with me.

You also do this in a different tempo than any other version. Your sounds more like a dirge. Like I said, unique.

Some pitchy spots, here and there but that could be fixed by holding the note instead of letting it float.

Thanks RONWS... always appreciate your opinion.....I'll keep working. This dang singing thing is hard:)

I have found, personally, that singing is more about removing impediments from yourself. When I have made advances in singing, I can most easily describe it as getting out of my own way, or learning to NOT step on my own feet.

In this version, maybe you were holding yourself back, afraid of harsh critique. So, I would say, if you try it again, let it go. Do what it is you feel, not what you might expect others want to hear.

Bluesguy63, You've gotten in to the habit of singing a monotone melody. You are staying in pitch relative to the chord you are playing on the guitar. That is a good thing. That shows that you can hear when you are singing pitches that are in tune with the chord you are playing.

You have a nice sounding voice. That is good also. Once you get the coordinations of melody better you will sound awesome.

I had the same problem. When singing a song to music I would wind up singing in monotone. What I mean by monotone is that instead of singing the true melody I would sing the song using only a few different notes.

I could whistle the melody or sing along with the recording but when I sang and played guitar the melody would be lost. Practicing scales helped me. Also singing the melody without the guitar, paying close attention to when I would alter the melody helped a lot.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."