Heaven on their Minds

• TMV World Legacy Member

Another of my favorites, this song is sung by the character of Judas Iscariot in "Jesus Christ, Superstar." To me, the emotion of the character is one of admiration for Jesus Christ, tempered by an ear for the political and religious ramifications of Jesus's actions, philosophy, and increasing popularity. Judas is looking for longetivity and finds Jesus' seemingly anti-political mindset to be possibly detrimental to "the cause."

As a side note, I have read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" and its sequel, "Messianic Legacy." Histories based on anomolies in history, odd bits of literature, and of course, the Holy Bible. I have read the Bible, more than once, thanks to my mother. I have read it more closely than some people I have known who have never missed a day of church in their lives. Anyway, the gist of the secular books I have mentioned is that Jesus Christ was an actual person with a legitimate heritage from the House of David, making him heir-apparent to the throne of Jerusalem, then, under roman occupation and overseen by the governor, Pontius Pilate.

In this song, I feel the love Judas has for Jesus and his message and his worry that the whole thing will be lost for what seems like Jesus' inattentiveness to political realities. The gist of the books mentioned is that Jesus knew very well what the political realities were. Also, the books hint that Jesus actually escaped with his family to Gaul, what is now southern France. But that's a whole 'nother thread.

"Heaven on their Minds"

• TMV World Legacy Member

Thanks for linking that in. I knew I screwed up. I missed some lyrics. I liked the production values in the video you linked.