imitating Steven Tyler "Dream On"

• TMV World Legacy Member

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0HlUrwcqQQv

I was singing in my car and recorded it haha. Please don't mind the sound quality.

Link above is me singing Dream On. Tell me what should I improve on and am I actually a baritone?

About the sound quality, if its an imitation i need to hear details to compare to the original, if its just a cover, not specifically intended to imitate, its also bad sound but more acceptable. As general comments you missed the pitch on several parts but thats easy to improve, you got enough range, at first i was thinking "noway he will reach the high parts" but you did, healthily or not thats another subject. The high parts are not that much important but it shows you have worked on your voice. Your accent also could improve. It doesn't matter what vocal classification you have, it might mentally affect you on how you approach the notes but i understand your curiosity, id guess maybe baritone/tenor (?)

Compared to the difficulty of the song your cover was good, keep it up!

You are not any particular fach. You are not singing opera. And, from what I value of voices labeled as baritone, you are not baritone.

I hear some pitch accuracy issues. And I think it's because you are not feeling where the note is. You get into the 5th octave for the high notes and that was cool but it still had pitch issues.

If you could, use the alignment you had for the high notes at the lower notes. This will help you feel where the notes should live.

I agree with singingnewbie. This is a beast of a song, even for accomplished singers. Ronnie James Dio didn't do the high notes in his cover. You obviously can do the high notes. Hear the music and sing by feel. I think you were singing louder than music, so you could not hear it as well. But you are not, I repeat, not tone deaf. Because you are able to make intervals (different notes in relation to each other.)

Concentrate first on making the pitch accurate, worry about intonation and pronunciation, later. One way to work through this is to forget about the lyrics, for a moment. Just sing it as lah - lah, all the way through. Nothing but vowels sounds and soft fricatives. Use your voice like a musical instrument, rather than a means of recitation of prose.

And, yes, you did good for a beginning effort.

Thanks to the both of you! Really much appreciated! If I'm not a baritone is it safe to classify myself as a tenor?

I'll surely work on what have you guys told me. Peace!

Hum. I think for your range you are a tenor.

If you don't have any medical issues that will prevent you from growing your voice, work hard with proper singing lessons, and after a lot of training, you'll be able to do this song with ease, since your voice can go really high.

However, at this point of time, I found your performance mono-toned through the entire performance. Even when you went high, it was all still mono-toned -- all sitting on the same note / pitch.

I agree it's a tough song to sing-- I can't get that high, at least not in full voice like you did, so if you develop your voice properly as mentioned above, you'll do fantastic.

I would suggest that you should break down each part of the song .. First verse .... chorus... Second verse... Chorus... Bridge.... etc.etc.

Match as closely as you can to the original, but do it softly without pushing or yelling.

Really concentrate on your support and breath control as well... This will help with the pitch as well by regulating the air release and pushing down on the diaphragm for support and control.

Cheers,

David.

A lot to improve... It does not sound one bit like Tyler and there is nothing in there that is even close to "baritone", its just not trained.

I would begin learning the melody properly, try playing the notes on a keyboard or another instrument. Other than that, best solution is lessons.

GL.