Am I hopeless? I REALLY love singing but...

• TMV World Legacy Member

My daughter is the only person to hear me sing and she says I am terrible. I sing in my car, the shower and under my breath all the time but what I would really love to do is get the nerve to sing karaoke for my 40th. If you could take the time to listen to help me improve my voice so I don't make a total arse of myself I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance for listening and for the feedback!

Obviously your daughter hasnt heard terrible yet, i'll send you a file of me singing for her to listen :P.

You sound good but that song doesnt reveal much for me. If you like singing this kind of stuff, youre fine.

To improve your voice, you dont feel comfortable singing infront of others so go and train at a conservatory if theres one near you and maybe take some lessons.

There are stuff both in text and videos here at the "Technique" section that could help and there are great coaches too. Whatever you do, have fun and keep on singing!

I am sure you are great :)

Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond. I appreciate your kind words and I hope I can take them to heart and believe that I am not as terrible as I would have my daughter claims I am. I have been navigating the various pages and links on this site and there is indeed a lot of useful information. I will take myself out of my comfort zone and try more challenging pieces thanks to your encouragement :) :)

It sounded lovely! Perfectly suitable for karaoke.

I wonder, though. It sounds like such a fun song, and it sounds like you really enjoy it, but I felt like you were holding back on the volume. You're on pitch, you have all the little "licks," but it sounds like your goal is to do more than just sing some correct pitches and rhythms. Your performance here was "safe." And there's nothing wrong with safe. It just doesn't sound like what you're wanting. It sounds like you want to have fun for your 40th birthday. You can either walk onto the stage essentially apologizing for your performance before you even sing, or you can get out there and really SING! I mean, really perform it.

You're not terrible. You're a good singer. I applaud your courage to put yourself out onto a forum for feedback. But I would love to hear your real potential. I encourage you to post a new recording with you taking a bolder approach to your song. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. This is a safe place. The moderators do a great job of keeping the hateful comments out. So you can afford to take more risks here, knowing that the feedback you're going to get is going to be honest and helpful.

The Aspiring Singer
Resources and inspiration for aspiring singers - from beginners to professionals
www.theaspiringsinger.com
Twitter: @theaspiringsing

Is that your daughter you are holding in your avatar on your soundcloud page?

Oh well, so she's not a fan. Don't worry, as she grows older, she will give more things to worry about.

I agree, you could amp up the performance a little bit, if you were wanting to match Burton Cummings, which you don't have to do.

And I definitely agree with Aspiring. Don't apologize up front, make excuses, give us reasons to find failure. Simply sing and see what results you get. There are times when I thought I made a note kind of weak but said nothing. And what I thought was weak was perceived as strong, even a "scream" by others. And who was right? Me or the audience. A singer cannot hear him or herself as others hear that singer.

What you are lacking is confidence and attitude. The pitch was fine, tone was fine. Your daughter is being a daughter. " Mommy is singing and not paying attention to me. I hate mommies singing."

So when your daughter tells you that, use it to your advantage and sternly sing to her "I've got my own way to rock........" Better yet, when your daughter is in her bed room and you are in the Kitchen or where ever..... Sing it so she will hear it. Sing it to her or at her. Then you will find the volume and attitude for singing Karaoke.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."