Queensryche - Breaking the Silence First attempt

• TMV World Legacy Member

I recorded this to kind of see where I was at vocally, and give me a point of reference as I progress through the stages of learning to apply different percentages of chest and head voice while mixing. Also, I am having issues with raising my soft palate and keeping my larynx in a reasonable position. Some of the notes are a bit too quacky. This song is VERY tiring (to me anyway), and I felt it when I was done.

www.drop-head.com

Yes, this is a challenging song, Keith, you did a good job. Some high notes in the chorus sound great and some not so great. Like in for example 1:30 there is a good supported twanged note. Strive for that.

First off, this is my favorite QR song. Sure, I like "I Don't Believe in Love" and my wife likes "Silent Lucidity" as much as I do and it was an ultimate challenge for me. But "Breaking the Silence" is just golden for me. My co-worker of years ago and friend, John, is the world's most avid QR fan of the Geoff era (sorry, Todd.) He and I would be on top of ladders making electrical junctions above ceiling level and dueting this song, a capella. Ah, memories...

You could use some more quack. Of anyone here, you have the voice that most closely matches Geoff. Not that one needs to sound like him to do well on QR stuff. You just have a natural advantage worth capitalizing upon.

I noticed that you are able to now get more narrow on your higher notes. Keep up with that. Get a little narrower and quackier, if you wish. It will make those higher notes sound more fleshed out, counterintuitive as that may seem.

Bravo, Keith. This could have been in your QR tribute thread some time back.