Creep - Radiohead

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Folks,

I love this song as a male.. What appeals to me about this song is the lyrics and is something all males can relate to.. Am sure we have all been there :lol::cool::D:o

Except the A4, the song is quite straightforward.. I think the original singer uses more falsetto in the portion where it goes "She's running out again".. I just couldn't get that tone and decided to go for a more full tone which I think suits my singing better.. I also skipped the lowest notes in the verse..

https://soundcloud.com/aravind-madhavan/creep

Hi Aravindmadis, I liked your take on this song, especially the bridge and the verse and chorus after the bridge. I think you are using too much effect on your voice throughout the song up to the bridge, to my taste. I don't mean the digital/analog effects (such as delays, chorus, etc). I meant the way you are singing, almost remind me of a cartoon character. But after the bridge, you sang it more natural. Good job overall.

Thanks Gneetapp.... I see what you mean... I hadn't realized it and it probably wouldn't have occurred to me. This is the reason why I post and seek feedback.. There's always something to think about and work on when others comment on your voice..

• 2 weeks later...

I think your take on it sounds great! Don't be afraid to use the F- bomb though. I think it helps relay/reinforce the emotional state of the narrator & song and this is a very emotion filled song.

I think your take on it sounds great! Don't be afraid to use the F- bomb though. I think it helps relay/reinforce the emotional state of the narrator & song and this is a very emotion filled song.

I have a 5 year old who sometimes listens to my recordings, so I wanted to keep the recording "clean"... Thank you. 

Ronws, cool cover by Jim Carrey.. Thanks for sharing

I sing this song from time to time, love the song. On one hand I think you could mainstream the tone a bit more if you were recording a single, but at the same time I get more satisfaction from your completely unique take on a very commonly performed song.

I personally preferred the opening and closing sections as it felt like you were more on a tight rope and putting every ounce of weight you could on those high notes. They are really tough notes and if I were to try to sing them as fully as you did, I'd probably do worse. So it isn't wrong, and if that is the most meaningful way for you to sing it, it does create a mood, but the identity shift from the relaxed quirk to the high notes was a bit larger than my tastes.

To me, quirkiness can sometimes be misinterpreted as 'creepy,' merely by violating social norms, even if there are no 'creepy' intentions. I thought the unusual side of it really certified 'outsider' status which is what the song seems to be about, and the hulking notes felt more 'mainstream' maybe? Maybe it could represent the struggle between the two? It will intend heavily on your artistic intent. I can only offer you subjective feedback as 'outsider' songs are the way they are for a reason. It's your interpretation of what it feels like.

Lussfabu, thanks

KillerKu, thank you for your really insightful feedback.  You are talking about "recording a single".  I take it as a huge compliment.  Fact is that I am in my mid-thirties with a full time job as a technology salesman and two small kids .  I have never thought about my singing seriously till last year and I want to give my best shot to see if I can become a professional singer.  I have had no formal training ever.  I took the first steps last week when I bought myself a the web edition of the TVS Pillars program having been hugely impressed with the knowledge of posters on these forums.  I am really surprised & happy at how far I have come by self-teaching, but I feel I absolutely had to get formal training to realize my dream. 

To be honest, I have not thought about interpretations and emotional and mood swings in delivery so far. It has been a lot of hardwork to get to these stage to sing these very difficult songs in tune whilst also bringing in originality in the interpretation.  I can relate to your explanation on why these are very important when actually recording singles.  I will keep it in mind in my future recordings..