Hey Joe cover...pleeze critique

• TMV World Legacy Member

You've got a natural swagger already in some of your phrasing. It's like a smooth controlled delivery. It sounds pretty tough and confident. I like it. I'd like to hear further into the the song as it ends a bit abruptly.

I know with Jimi Hendrix's version, he gets a bit higher and kind of lets it loose with a slight yellish sound? If it's an artistic choice to keep it mostly low key, I respect it, but if you have technical difficulties more elevated it might be something that can be assisted with.

To Jimi's version always sounded like the song is begun with a cool composure, as if he is observing Joe's actions detached from afar, or beileves himself to be above involvement in what he did, but as the song develops it sounds like Jimi becomes increasingly emotional and unhinged as the acceptance of Joe's actions are driven home. It's kind of like in the stages of grief, denial can help you keep a cool composure in the face of reality, but inevitably grief, anger, and sadness will hit. 

So if it sounds interesting, you could think about continuing the song and expanding in one or another direction. It's pretty much up to you, but I thought you pulled of the cool composure really well.

• Review My Singing Membership

Thank you for taking the time to comment....I had never tried that song and just wanted to put a little bit of it up to get a feel if I was doing okay. My goal is to do an open mic one day...just want to get a passing grade if I get the courage to go through with it, :wacko:

Thank you for taking the time to comment....I had never tried that song and just wanted to put a little bit of it up to get a feel if I was doing okay. My goal is to do an open mic one day...just want to get a passing grade if I get the courage to go through with it, :wacko:

You sound like you might be able to pull an open mic with the right crowd.If the crowds weren't like huge singing nerds and sticklers when you didn't sing the C28 or whatever. A lot of times open mics are kind of a more community thing, so people are happier to just share. It's not like you made a godawful racket that would have people running for the door.

If you want to take things a bit further than an open mic, keep training. You're in a good direction. Maybe try to work a bit more dynamics. Somewhere above an open mic might be like a coffee Shop kind of gig, where expectations might be raised a bit. You'd have to play them the whole song, unless you wanted to pull a stunt, like 'hey joe, where you're going........?' cut it off, walk off stage, and leave the audience baffled. ;) 

If I was a live performer I think I couldn't resist to do that at least once, but generally yeah, keep working on it dude. What you got is surprisingly solid, but in order to attract more attention it's not what you're doing, but maybe just a bit more pizazz of like dynamics in range, or volume, or something.

Hey Bluesguy, good to hear you are still at it. You have the passion for playing guitar and singing but you are holding yourself back from showing it.

You are a little too laidback even if that is the feel you are going for.

If you want laid back, Try LEON REDBONE.  Even Redbone puts a little more kick into it.

If you want to experiment with getting a little more passion sing along to Elvis's Hound dog (With Elvis and Like Elvis) for a few days.

I am not being sarcastic or messing with you in any way. I am serious and trying to help.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Hey Bluesguy, good to hear you are still at it. You have the passion for playing guitar and singing but you are holding yourself back from showing it.

You are a little too laidback even if that is the feel you are going for.

If you want laid back, Try LEON REDBONE.  Even Redbone puts a little more kick into it.

If you want to experiment with getting a little more passion sing along to Elvis's Hound dog (With Elvis and Like Elvis) for a few days.

I am not being sarcastic or messing with you in any way. I am serious and trying to help.

HoundDog could get almost anybody pumped up, yeah. Rock on, MDEW. Good idea.