I covered a Gabrielle Aplin song...does this song/ genre fit my voice?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello people! So I absolutely love this song...I think it's so beautiful..so I decided to cover it. The thing I can't decide, though, is weather or not this song fit's my voice. My voice is NOTHING like Gabrielle Aplin's...not even close. So I don't know if this style is right for me. What do you think? yay or nay? Constructive criticism is welcome! trouble spots? things to work on? tone? runs? how is everything? :) thank you!

Yes, this song fits your voice and it's okay to sound different than the original singer and still do well on a song.

If Ronnie James Dio can do a hugely different version of "Dream On" by Aerosmith and people like it so much that they do covers of his cover, If Shinedown can do a cover of Lynrd Skynrd's "Simple Man" and have all the young-n's do a cover of their version, you can do this. And have you done this.

Let me illustrate;

"Dream On" by Aerosmith

"Dream On" with Ronnie James Dio and Yngwie Malmsteen

"Simple Man" by Lynrd Skynrd

"Simple Man" by Shinedown

So, you are the next to create awesomeness with your covers.

Thank you for your feedback..yeah I agree about having a different voice...but often genres have certain styles of voices...even if they aren't the same...and I normally sing a little more on the soulful side of things...so I wasnt sure If this style was a good style for me..since  my type of voice is rarely heard singing this style...at least from what I've heard.

I may be biased. You could sing almost any genre and I would probably like it. If you sang nu metal, it would be like a version of Evannesscance that I liked.

On the technique some of the runs are a little rigid and stilted, which could be smoothed out by slowing them down, singing them as soulfully as possible, and speeding them up (as soulfully as possible).

I think you have a voice that could sing the phone book. It's a very rich and beautiful thing. To my ears it transcends genre.

Ron has an awesome point..since my favourite singer is Dio and my guitar idol is Mr.Pirate Bach i preffer the Dio version of Dream on... and the irony is that i LOVE high singing but i actually preffer when Dio goes deeper where Tyler do those Dreaaaammm ooonnn screams..

I like your voice and whether or not your voice suits the song is IMO irrelevant..what IS relevant is that i like how you sing and like the song performed in your timbre

Can't say enough about your work. Far as this song goes, it is another dimension of talent. 

My only suggestion would be to turn down those runs of repetive 1-4's or what they are.

They are expressive in small doses, but can become repetitive after the 8th bar of them.

You asked exactly the right question, "Does this song fit my style?" It does, but the 

two of you should meet in the middle somewhere.  If you separate the tracks, the

sound mixer can take care of some of that.

Hello Kristi! I really like it! I think you can always cover whatever song you like by adapting the original song to your voice and style (as you did) and not vice versa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Y11hwjMNs

Please, review and critique my latest post: Donny Hathaway - A song for you

souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-