Long Haired country boy cover...feedback pleeze

• TMV World Legacy Member

I went down to Georgia one time and I've got long blond hair. Wow, I've never gotten more attention in my life, both negative and positive. So I can relate to the topic.

I feel like you're improving in inflection. Like you are emphasizing certain syllables a bit more. I think you should take this concept a bit further as it can add dynamics even with conversational style delivery. You do drift off a bit much in volume a bit in the chorus, which is an interesting approach.

Anyway, I think you should consider taking this concept further and pick certain words or syllables to highlight with a bit more volume (punch), and clearer enunciation,  make some stronger, and some more delicate to let them wisp. Just 'emphasis.' It could help things from being droney and monotonous with a lower conversationaly pitch range.

Think about which parts of the song make you feel a different way. And you might find they call out to you and make you want to do this naturally. Like some parts would be more firm or forceful and other parts would be more delicate and gentle. You can communicate a lot of emotions with speech. People can often tell whether someone is sad, happy, angry, hurt, jealous, spiteful, etc, just by the way things are said. I think incorporating this as much as you can would give you a lot more dynamics than even some people with 5 octave ranges.

Keep at it, and I do hear progress. I think it could be taken further.

I thought you did very well. I would suggest trying to put more emotion into the song. It felt a bit karaoke to me. I think you have a great, deep country voice. Try working on singing as if a crowd were watching. I must be honest, it was a bit boring in parts, but maybe its just the song. Over all, good job!

Annika

• Review My Singing Membership

I don't have any hair so maybe that's my problem :D I really appreciate the detailed responses....lots of good advice which I try to use. "sounded a bit like karaoke".....not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not sure what that means. I've heard really good karaoke and really bad.

Again, my goals are not very lofty. I'm really just trying to get to the point to where someone would HONESTLY think "he's decent/on key", passable etc...

I don't have any hair so maybe that's my problem :D I really appreciate the detailed responses....lots of good advice which I try to use. "sounded a bit like karaoke".....not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not sure what that means. I've heard really good karaoke and really bad.

Again, my goals are not very lofty. I'm really just trying to get to the point to where someone would HONESTLY think "he's decent/on key", passable etc...

You underestimate yourself.  You're already at a point where you don't offend ears, but your performance style is very low key to the point where, as she said it could be boring.

I think you got what it takes to take it to the next level, imo. And why not. If you've gotten started. I think you've got potential so why waste it and aim for mediocrity when you don't need to? 

Don't let lack of hair stop you. The members of Steel Panther are in their 50's and wear wigs, mostly because they are a parody band, but hey, it's a living. And it can be freeing. Like the way that Slipknot wears masks. There is something about wearing a mask that allows the true you to come out. But yeah, You need some more emotion in the song. Obviously, I think, you feel something about the song if you care enough to perform it. Well, put some that desire in the actual singing.

I have the hair,,,,,,,Well the top front is kind of letting me down lately. :o

You are starting the verses off good and on pitch and melody......"People say I'm No Good, Crazy as a Loon" The next lines should be the same melody starting on the same pitch but you drop to a lower melody. More of a harmony to the first. "Cause I get drunk". This dropping of the melody is what is causing the droning or lack of energy.

I am not saying  that it sounds bad or that you did anything wrong by not singing it exactly like Charley did, Only That Charley is creating the Energy by starting each phrase on a higher pitch. And that a lot of people who know this song will hear that it is different.

If you were purposely changing the melody that is OK. If you were meaning to sing the same melody as Charley then what you need to do is sing each phrase of the verse the Same(or close) as you do when starting the verse.

You have come a long way and are sounding better every time I hear you.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."