Scared to ask... Is there any potential here?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Totally scared to ask, but would appreciate brutal honesty.

I recorded this on my iPod using the iPod inline microphone about 4 months ago.

It sounds muffled as the recording device was not great, and also I had a bit of a cold at the time which left me feeling a bit breathless in parts, namely during the bridge. This also affected the tone of my voice throughout. My voice normally has a less bass-y tone.

However I'm aware that the whole thing could sound absolutely terrible. I just really don't know :| Hence why I'm asking here...

Is there any potential in my voice?

Thanks...

(you can play it directly on this webpage or you can download from here too)

http://www.4shared.com/audio/38lX8zUz/Me_-_You_Lost_Me.html

Don't hold back!

Sure, you can do stuff. What is it you want to do? The song you provided has a kind of rhythm and blues vibe. Maybe some soul music. You would be in some good company here, as there are a few singers here that have that R & B thing going on.

Thank you for that feedback. I'm not sure what I want to do, to be honest. I just don't want to kid myself into thinking I can sing if I can't.

I would really appreciate more feedback, no matter how negative it is. Thanks...

Like most things in life, getting good takes some work and dedication. If you really love to sing then be prepared for a little hard work and occasional set back before you'll really see results. Unless someone actually has a physical handicap, there's no reason at all why anyone can't learn to sing well enough for others to enjoy.

What has been revelation to me lately is that after lots of hard work and learning how to coordinate my vocal muscles I can "play" my voice like it's an instrument and have a lot of artistic freedom and choices in tone, distortion, breathiness etc. It's something you can't really learn overnight but once you come to understand how our voices actually function and learn certain coordinations such as twanging and how to maintain vocal compression etc you will have all the potential in the world at your fingers...er...throat. ;)

"GIDDYUP!"

Thank you, Snax, for that info.

My story is that I took singing lessons for a year (2006). However, just a couple months into it, I hit a roadblock that I just could not seem to overcome. It was a year after I stopped taking the lessons that I was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis (in 2008). And because I'd had it since I was a kid (I just hadn't had it diagnosed until now) I didn't know any different and therefore hadn't even considered that that might be the reason for my roadblock. So my year of singing lessons were almost a complete waste of time. It was like trying to learn to drive on a road that was totally blocked. Pointless.

That song I'm singing there is a Christina Aguilera song, and so is far more advanced than my current singing ability can cope with. I guess it's a case of having ran before I could walk. But I love the song and I just wanted to sing it at the time.

Any more advice (I know I'm being greedy here, lol) would be great. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it sounded pretty good. I'm not familiar with the original song; it reminded me a bit of Arabic music. The lowest part did sound toughest for you.

http://www.reverbnation.com/frederickingram