Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics unique version by Ellise

• Administrator

Ellise,

Another good job here... your a really good singer!

Review:

- Watch your tempo... you got caught up a bit in the song at a few places where you are coming in a bit too early . When we learn a new song and are excited about it, we tend to rush the beat far more frequently then drag the beat... you are rushing... lock in with your accompanist better.... or your accompanist needs to lock in better with you. A good accompanist can ebb and flow on tempo with their singer.

- I love your Melisma riffs... well done. 

- I like the resonance you are getting on your "ou" vowels on "World". It has a really nice, Howling resonance to it. You have a good "ou" vowel... and a really good "Oh" vowel... you good at curbing... meaning you resonant good curbing vowels... back resonant vowels that resonant in your soft palette. You "cover" well... your formants are very curbed. They shade into a lot of "Uh", "ou" and "oh"... these singing formants are different then the vowels in the lyrics. The language vowels in the lyrics communicate inside a parental, or bigger sense of these three singing vowels. Your nice curbing style is helping you to sound more bluesy and soulful, which you definitely are good at. But...

- You would benefit from working on some Edging vowels, which are the opposite of the curbing vowels Edging vowels are brighter and they resonant forward, toward the hard palette of the mouth; "Eh", "ae" as in "cat" ... are the two main edging vowels. Im not suggesting that you "edge" this song more... it is really beautiful in this warm, soulful, curbing vibe... but this review suggests that you may not be practicing your edging vowels or forward resonance as much as you should. Failure to practice forward resonant vowels can lead to:

- - Atrophied strength in the twanger... or weakness in the ability to twang and adduct the vocal folds.

- - A lack of strength on your belts which will make your efforts to sing Rock, theater and any style that needs hard, punchy notes up front to the palette.

- - Your formants will always be "rounded" and warm like in this song... which is gorgeous, but you don't always want that.

- - Not training Edging vowels will lead to the articulation of lyrics on high notes possibly getting muddy. Edging build strength in the ability to articulate lyrics better when singing... so your words don't sound mushy.

I advise that you learn more about your singing vowels perhaps... when you learn more about your singing vowels, you then learn about resonant placement... learning you singing vowels, teaches you resonant placement... where you can resonant; forward, center or back... you then come to realize the sound color difference between forward, center and backward vowels... which is something you are going to need to be very clear no... ESPECIALLY for such a talented and capable singer like you!

My training system, "The Four Pillars of Singing" has lessons about singing vowels that categorizes the vowels into three families or groups with workouts and lessons that will teach you about singing vowels in this way and it is very helpful:

- Edging Vowels = Eh, Ae ("cat") = Forward Resonant Vowels = Brighter, more metallic = strengthens the twanger, improves articulation.

- Neutral Vowels = Ah, Aw = Centered Resonant Vowels = Bright = strengthens your belts and glottis.

- Curbing Vowels = Uh, Ou, Oh = Backward Resonant Vowels = Warm, darker, soulful = reinforces larynx dampening (lowering the larynx to sound more dark or bluesy).

I give you an A- and that is probably being a bit hard on you... its pretty darn good.. but those are some things you could think about.

Im curious, how are you making these recordings?  Is this just live in the room with a real pianist? What is your production here...?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hiya Ellise, I am going to spend some time this weekend on your youtube channel and get to some serious posting. I love this version, and I agree once again with Robert. You have a voice of incredible beauty and warmth and any critique is kinda being hard as you are an amazing singer and have such a solid grasp of emotional delivery and great technique already. I had a teacher who I went to that I had talked to on the phone ahead of meeting him. Midway through our first lesson he stopped me and said "I just have to stop and tell you that I REALLY didn't expect to hear you singing this well and your voice is really hot" great news right, then the hammer "BUT, there are adjustments to be made" lol and that's where my hard work began haha. As far as I can tell you have a great style already and I have enjoyed every clip you have posted. I am sure most of the way you sing these is an artistic choice and you may be doing "edgier vowels" Robert I believe is just wanting to make sure you are well rounded and have every tool in toolbox available to you, ESPECIALLY since you are such a rare singer to begin with. I wish at your age I had access to great teacher as it could have really sped up my progress. I hope its not repetitious to say but great job cant find anything to pick apart just great singing and you make it look easy, now lets see you do one and make it look hard lol :P

• Administrator

Robert I believe is just wanting to make sure you are well rounded and have every tool in toolbox available to you, ESPECIALLY since you are such a rare singer to begin with.

Yes... truthfully, considering your age and how nice it was... Im reaching... This is something I thought was worthy and had some merit to suggest. Your singing is gorgeous, but it is very back resonant, which is one reason WHY it is so gorgeous.. that tends to warm the sound and make it more soulful.... HOWEVER... I used to be like you Ellise. I used be a big "curbing" singer... loved it. sounded good, felt good... but there is a price to pay for only singing in that position... your adductors get weak, your ability to twang and articulate lyrics also are compromised.  I had to reorient myself with forward resonant "edge" vowels to get back in alignment. Now I can and do sing in both positions, which is what we all want... and when I do want to belt and really lean into it... it is the edging skills I have built that carry the day, not the curbing. You will want to belt and rock sometimes, so don't neglect the edge positions.

You are a great singer... I am very impressed at how mature your voice sounds. You don't sound like a 15 year old... you sound like a fully mature, grown woman that is in her 30s... which is a compliment. You don't sound "girly", you sound womanly.. and that is fantastic for someone so young. 

• TMV World Legacy Member

Right on Robert, my voice sounded VERY young even into my early 20's. There is another person on this forum who posted an excellent version of Welcome to the Jungle from Guns and Roses. Very good BUT it sounded like a teenager and he probably is but much like Leann Rimes (not stylistically) you are very mature vocally for your age and that is a FANTASTIC gift to have. It should be noted also that I only had to shave once a month until I was 23 so I was a late bloomer lol. :4: Also I would love to hear you tackle something outside your comfort zone. I challenge myself constantly in my original compositions as well as my choice of cover tunes. I actually have a harder time singing the more "flat' sounding singers like Sting or singers with "lazy diction". I choose covers sometimes just to test my technique and to show me weak areas that I need to address and of course after doing all that, those areas in turn become part of  my comfort zone. "Singing is being better by being better prepared" Try everything. That being said, how about a rocker I bet Robert would love to hear one as well as me. Maybe not the usual but don't be afraid to mix it up.

• TMV World Member

Hi robert and Musikman

That you again for your great feedback

I believe that you always have to work to improve and I am always open to your great support and advice

The song I just posted No one was recorded about a week ago. Sweet dreams and baby one more time were recorded in August last year.

I am in a singing contest this Sunday I will try and get my performace of Hurt taped and put it up for your review.