*Rough Recording* Journey: Lovin, Touching, Squeezing

• TMV World Legacy Member

Soooo I haven't been on here in over a year. I been so busy with work and school It downed a lot of my music time. After halting a lot of bad habits and bettering myself, I have started to practice again. Let me know what you think of my first rough recording.of the year! Now I know its probably not the best, especially I since I used my karaoke mic and not the condenser, I'm working on improving.  I'm just looking for some good old constructive criticism. :bang:

Keep Calm, ROCK ON, and GUNS UP!

first bit of constructive criticism - get an avatar. It's in the intro materials when you come into this forum.

Fixed, didn't realize my old avatar was removed.

Thanks for fixing the avatar.

I usually like to find something in a performance or recording that is good to note, as well as whatever needs fixing. And this had nothing good for me. I know you have done other stuff better, before. This may be the wrong song for you. Especially if you are trying to sing light, like Steve Perry. You had no pitch control whatsoever, tone was wrong, And a sometimes, you completely lost the melody. Seriously, I can count on one hand the number of times I completely had nothing good to say.

And problem is, if  you were to sing it like a Led Zep song, for example, it would be totally wrong with this arrangement recorded like the original. That is, if you had a metalcore version, then you could do something with that.

I know you have sang high stuff before, so this is not out of your range. But there is more to singing a song than just having the range. I know because I have made similar mistakes. Choosing a song that doesn't really fit me and so identifiable to others.

Maybe you couldn't hear the music. But, if I were you, I would choose another song. Either that, or sing this one lower, especially if you can get the track transposed lower.

Steve Perry is not for the faint of heart my brother and he is actually trickier to sing than a lot of other singers because he was a MASTER of the bridging and singing throughout the Passagio as well as singing entire chunks of vocals exclusively in that part of the male register which means ICE CREAM HEADACHE lol.

Ok, now on to my take of what may or may not be going on here. Over all you sound like you are singing very quiet with minimal support also with little vocal cord compression which is essential for attempting anything Steve Perry on vocals. There were many, many, many, times when I was a younger singer where my head register and my chest register were fairly well developed yet I neglected my Passagio because it was difficult so I kinda avoided it lol but you can not take for granted working on bridging and connecting as Robert says. A good exercise to try to work on this is to start on a note an Ah maybe easiest and glide up to the octave then slide back down and continue the sound with an arpeggio singing the 1,3,5,,8,5,3,1 then still continuing the sound from the root note again and  go up every scale degree up to the octave (8) then descend down 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1. Try to do that as one continuous piece and it works your break area 3 different ways. Its always a bummer to find a weak link in our vocal armor my friend and you and I are not alone. Many singers with good low and high voice capabilities tend to not work this trouble spot. And for many singers you may try to cover this is not an issue but, Steve Perry equals Passagio God he had control of every part of it including dynamics etc. and people know those songs so well they pounce on any blood in the water lol.

Don't Stop Believin" oh god I just did that, and keep working that bridge area it is such a great tool to have and an important part of opening your voice up to your minds ultimate creative potential on original work or covering of the most amount of singers.

Thanks  for the  advice. I am working on control and pitch atm. I know I have some issues with singing softly, I kind get a fear of people hearing me in my apartment complex and don't want to wake them, I tend to not sleep well sometimes so I sing and record all at night. I'm going to work with those scales, and I believe I have some good scale vids book marked.

I also did a sound card update and been fiddling with the settings. I been having issues with the pickup on my karaoke mic, making me sound even softer. I'm working on getting my snowball set up for better sound quality. Hoping to get some good practice in this weekend. And try to get off of rons five finger badie list :P 

Oh and I picked the song because I was singing to it in the car that day and just couldn't stop all night :P