The spirit carries on(Dream Theater)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Folks, 
A few in the forum have indicated that I have a bright sounding voice, so I was tempted to cover some James La Brie!

This is a work in progress version.  Please indicate errors that you spot so that I can clean them up.  Especially areas where you see a dipthong or onset issue!  

I find that to sing this song, I need to hear myself extremely well(Talking about the high parts in the latter half of the song).  In a sense I have to visualize the note as it forms in my vocal chords.  Even if my hearing is slightly off(through loud background) I have a big difficulty in getting the weight right.  It leads to strain and off pitched notes.  Therefore this is a very low margin song for me to cover live.  Do you have any recommendations on how I can overcome this problem? 

Also any tips to improve the mix will be really useful!! 

Also suggestions for songs that you think will suit my voice!! 

• Administrator

Ara,

Sorry for no review on this... I didn't know it was here. I actually have coached this song a lot of times and do it myself. I just need to track and film it.

Your effort.

- The mix needs more sauce on the vocals. Its a little weak or weird on the mx... I think your bed track is lacking... you can get a better backing track for this.

- You need to sing this with a bit more chesty, darker colors.

- 4:30 - Watch the cues. your rushing...

- 4:50 - You need some better vowels here... I can hear you getting tired... its because your resonance is not lined up right (formant), you need vowel coaching on this. 

- 5:35 - "... carries on!".. not a bad vowel...

You need to warm this up by getting your larynx dampened more, and narrowing into back resonant vowels more... I would enjoy coaching you through this song. Consider taking a few lessons with me and lets work on it...

Here are my guys (TVS Teachers actually...), doing this... I coached them on the songs... also did the audio engineering, film work and final synch... notice the vowels and the cues. Two great performances. 

• TMV World Member

I think the resonance doesn't shift enough, it sounds like you're using alot of twang and leaning on that is probably why it seems not varied enough.  But you could still vary it with the twang if you make subtle adjustments and add some portamento.  at 5:09 when you sing clear the resonance is unstable but that mix sounds like it would be more natural and less twangy if you could find the right vowel mods airflow and tract formation to sustain it.