Felipe Carvalho - Perfect Strangers

• TMV World Member

one of my fave songs ever. When I was a kid in high school that keyboard intro gave me chills

Pro. lots of soul and emotion. Nice sibilance in spots. Nice chorus vibe

Con. The delivery was a bit "syrupy" at times...in other words maybe a bit too laid back and behind the beat in spots where it could have been a bit more snappy and on top of the beat

Some tiny little things are off like the annunciation in "I know I must remain".  if im not mistaken, the "I" should be a one syllable "I" not a more 2 syllable diphthong "eye". Tiny point that I only notice because I have heard the song a million times. I bet I heard it 20x in the last week alone lol

I could be wrong though, dunno. On "I am returning" he does the diphthong "eye"

actually listening to it closely, on that bridge he almost sings "I know AH must remain"....but neither sound like diphthongs

Evidently it is a very hard song to cover. The Jorn Lande and Bruce Dickinson covers arent THAT great lol.

Heck, even Deep Purple never played the song that great live as far as I ever heard

• 1 month later...

Hi @JonJon thanks for the reply man.

Not sure I follow on the diphthong thing haha, either its AH or I, isn't it? Are you saying I am doing something different from both? As far as I am aware, I and eye are homophones isn't that so? (not my native language so I want to understand!)

I love the versions from these two guys (as you may imagine), but I also the original, there is a blend going on most likely!

Again thanks for your words!

• TMV World Legacy Member

I couldn't hear any problems. Granted, Felipe sounds different than Ian and I don't care and there is no one big enough or skilled enough to make me care. I like what Felipe did with the melody in this. If I want to listen to an Ian sound on this, I will, oh yeah, I know, go listen to an album version.

However, I can understand how some are just not going to like it because the voice is different. Just like there are people who do not like my voice, regardless of what sing. It happens. 

And there have a been a few times when Felipe covered a song quite well and it just didn't move me, so I didn't comment. Who wants to read that I just didn't care for it? That doesn't help anyone. Kind of like being in a cooking discussion about baked alaska and I could pop in say, "I don't like brussel sprouts." Something like a non-sequitur.

• TMV World Member
On 7/18/2016 at 2:53 PM, Felipe Carvalho said:

Hi @JonJon thanks for the reply man.

Not sure I follow on the diphthong thing haha, either its AH or I, isn't it? Are you saying I am doing something different from both? As far as I am aware, I and eye are homophones isn't that so? (not my native language so I want to understand!)

I love the versions from these two guys (as you may imagine), but I also the original, there is a blend going on most likely!

Again thanks for your words!

Well, in the USA, the word "I" can be pronounced at least 2 different ways. Probably more. Im in the "south" so we hardly ever use a diphthong "eye" for the word "I".  So if I say "I am tired", both the "I" and the "tired" are only 1 syllable....they DONT have the gliding diphthong sound "eYE".

So "I" and "eye" dont have to be homophones

in the south if we say "i'm"...it's 'im' not "eyem"

Its a type of laziness where we dont go to the trouble to fully pronounce a word. So we just say "I" with the mouth wide open as opposed to the diphthong which requires more movement etc

In the same way, a person from up in the mountains would say a word like "our" as "ire" with the mouth wide open

haha, its hard to explain in text. if we say "mine" it wont sound anything like "mayan"...whereas if we say "mayan calender" it may come out more like "mine calender" lol

So a lot of times that applies to rock and roll where the singers dont want to sound "correct" or "intellectual" lol. Seriously. If I hear really good annunciation I think of Bruce Dickinson or maybe Geoff Tate style metal...an almost operatic style.    (style?? is it "stile" or "sti-uhll" lol)

Rock pretty much CAME from the south and from southern blues so a lot of that blues/black/country slang and lazy pronunciation stuck.

At least as I hear it, on the DP bridge its "I" know "I" must remain etc....not "eye know eye must remain"

pretty clear example here. 'I wanna rock and roll'....not "eye wanna".  also check "while" and "style"...no diphthong

or this one. about a hundred "I"s..but not a single "eye"

HAHA!! Actually Felipe....I got to thinking about "Holy Diver". Is it "diver" or "deye-ver" and sure enough Dio says something like "deye-vuh" and I checked your cover and you did it just like Dio. But then on "oh dont you see what I mean" Dio just says "I" (or actually it sounds like what ah mean").....and when you sing that line you do it like Dio lol. You do "what I mean" and not "what eye mean"

So you ALREADY use both (non homophone) "I" and "eye" lol

if you go thru many rock songs id say the "I" is used 10 times for every 1 "eye"

Beatles rocking the 'correct' "eye love her"

Good one here. Not only does Sammy say "I" cant drive 55....he actually pronounces the word 'look me in the EYE" as "look me in the I" lol!

Same thing for many words in rock. "mii mii mii" not "meye meye meye"

and again, im not saying there is any right or wrong in rock n roll lol. I just pointed that out in the DP song because I have heard that song 9 million times and the 'eye' stood out a bit to me

Peace, JJ

• TMV World Member

just in the first 30 seconds of this there are 4 or 5 different ways to say "I"

"eye" am the teacher

you were lost but "ah" (or "uh") found you

"hive learned a few things" (not "eye've" learned)...as "ive" travelled thru the years (not "eye've""

Thuh magician is mii name

We'll leave "naim" and "nai-um" for another discussion lol. English is a hodgepodge

haha wait @JonJon I think I understand you now, and yes you are right its different.

I was under the impression you were saying I was pronouncing the word "I" incorrectly, as if the word itself had a different pronunciation. What you are describing are interpretation resources, and sometimes accents, I understand that and you are dead on, it makes a huge difference on the interpretation.

This song and interpretation are with me for a while, so I don't quite remember how I planned this, but there are some differences indeed, some on purpose, some not (this one you mentioned I am almost sure its not haha). The chorus is geared much more towards the original line, I remember that.

Thank you for taking your time and explaining what you meant, and for the careful listening, its very useful :).