Ballad of John and Yoko cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

Good song. Wish I would have thought of it.

I think you are just trying to go a little too heavy on it. Sounds pretty good anyway.

If it makes you feel any better John had a hard time singing this too.

Write this on your song list to sing for people. Keep a list and sing them often. Then when opportunity strikes you are ready to go.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• TMV World Member

I feel ya. Yeah, the compressors are a bit voodooish lol. some sort of black art

I just notice it gets quieter for instance "how hard it can be"....or like at 1:20, it just drops all the way out.

out of curiousity, is that 1 take all the way thru?

Yeah it's one take, first take.  Probably why there are a lot of issues lol.  On the "How hard can it be" I purposely lightened up to sort of balance all the chest pulling.  Don't think there is a mic issue there but other parts I may have backed away too far or something causing it to get quieter.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to listen both of you.  

cPOh14H.png

Wow! Great job Jeremy! I really liked your tone and the rasp throughout the song. Even though it seemed you strained a bit in a couple of spots, I think it didn't impact the song negatively. Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • TMV World Member

it wasn't bad, I feel like you should do some more impersonations.  Try imitating john mayer he's one of the first artists I started singing like because he sings relatively low and he's got a breathy tone so not much compression is necessary .

What I have noticed, across, albeit, just a few covers is that Jeremy has this thing, away of infusing some kind of good feeling, a kind of happiness in the face of all that life is, in his voice. I have a feeling he could sing "Beds Are Burning" by Midnight Oil and it would sound like a party. Or, "City of Angels" by RHCP and it would be a solitude to which we are all invited, a sweet irony.

And yeah, I think he could do some impersonations. I could imagine a spot-on Christopher Walken, "I need more cowbell." Because, let's face it, you can never have too much cowbell. "I've got a fever. And the cure is more cowbell!"

Although, Collin, I think you could do a great Walken and maybe a splash of De Niro. I hear some northeast in your accent. maybe a little Yonkers, a little Brooklyn or Flatbush. Somewhere around the Big Apple.

Where as,my voice has the dusty sound of Clint Eastwood with the accent of Bill Paxton. In fact, I used to do a pretty good Clint.

"Now I know, you've got to be asking yourself one question. Did he shoot six, or was it only five? Well, in all the excitement, I kind of lost count, myself. 

Now, being that this is a forty-four magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and could blow your head clean off, you have to be asking yourself one question -

Do I feel lucky? Well? Do you, punk?"

Woah didn't realize this cover was still getting any feedback, three new posts?  Very cool.. thank you very much Ellise & Colin, and Ron, you may have made my day with your incredibly passionate observation.  Honestly can say nobody has ever told me that before so thank you for that sentiment. :)  I will keep all of your comments in mind when it comes to practicing some new material.  Peace and love.  

cPOh14H.png

• TMV World Member
On 7/4/2016 at 10:19 AM, ronws said:

What I have noticed, across, albeit, just a few covers is that Jeremy has this thing, away of infusing some kind of good feeling, a kind of happiness in the face of all that life is, in his voice. I have a feeling he could sing "Beds Are Burning" by Midnight Oil and it would sound like a party. Or, "City of Angels" by RHCP and it would be a solitude to which we are all invited, a sweet irony.

And yeah, I think he could do some impersonations. I could imagine a spot-on Christopher Walken, "I need more cowbell." Because, let's face it, you can never have too much cowbell. "I've got a fever. And the cure is more cowbell!"

Although, Collin, I think you could do a great Walken and maybe a splash of De Niro. I hear some northeast in your accent. maybe a little Yonkers, a little Brooklyn or Flatbush. Somewhere around the Big Apple.

Where as,my voice has the dusty sound of Clint Eastwood with the accent of Bill Paxton. In fact, I used to do a pretty good Clint.

"Now I know, you've got to be asking yourself one question. Did he shoot six, or was it only five? Well, in all the excitement, I kind of lost count, myself. 

Now, being that this is a forty-four magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and could blow your head clean off, you have to be asking yourself one question -

Do I feel lucky? Well? Do you, punk?"

of course after reading this I had to go watch some interviews of de niro and walken to get their voices fresh in my mind.  Now I'm walking around saying 'You talking to me' to everybody lmao.  I'm okay with sounding like these guys even though I think my sound is closer to a fallout boy mixed with Eden project kind of deal.

I need to cover this song it gives me chills just singing it