I've Damaged My Voice - Is it Reversible?

• TMV World Member

Hi TMV,

Today I had to upload a few videos for an audition. Basically I sang for a few hours to get the takes just right, and it was more singing than I've been doing lately. Some of it was in the upper parts of my range. Long story short, after finishing everything, I tried hitting my upper notes a few minutes ago and I couldn't do it, I didn't have control over it, and it sounded really raspy, and not in a controlled way. I sound fine while speaking and I can sing lower down, and in the middle of my voice. There is no pain, and aside from the rough sound in the upper notes, there's no hoarseness. Could I have done permanent damage to my voice or is this just from tiredness and improper use of my voice? I admit I don't have perfect technique, and I chose a song that had a few parts that were too high for me. However now I'm worried I have nodules or something. Please do let me know what you think. I'm gonna go to a doctor in maybe 2-3 days if this doesn't change, but for now I'm trying not to panic, because it might not be anything serious.

• Administrator

Welcome to The Modern Vocalist World Forum, s334567pq !

First of all, let me stress that I am NOT a doctor !!!

Don't panic ! Since you mentioned that you aren't experiencing any pain or hoarseness, I seriously doubt that you have done permanent damage to your voice, nor do I believe that you have developed nodules, nodes, etc. My suggestions would be that you rest your voice for a few days. NO singing, limit your speaking for a few days, and get plenty of rest. If you are still experiencing problems, then yes, see a doctor as you mentioned.

Also, I would try some teas mixed with honey to soothe the throat. Or simply use a couple of teaspoons of honey a couple of times daily. DO NOT use products that numb the throat !!! All they do is numb your throat and "mask" your symptoms.

Speaking of teas, if you are SERIOUS about your singing, check out the "Singer's Tea" which you can purchase right here at TMV World. They are by far the best teas I have found. Here's a link for your convenience :

http://singerstea.com/

I'm also including a gargle "mixture" that is very helpful :

Vocal Gargle

Gargle (for Coughs, Sore Throat, etc. GREAT for use after singing. Can be used prior to singing as well)

MIX:

2 TBS. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

2 TBS Honey (Preferably locally produced)

1/2 tsp. Slippery Elm Powder

Approx. 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt (Good Quality)

1 oz. Aloe Vera Gel/Juice

4 - 6 Drops Glycerin

1 cap full Hydrogen Peroxide

1 cap full "Alkolol" TM

Few Drops Lemon Juice

4 - 6 Drops Tea Tree Oil

4 - 6 Drops Licorice

Pinch Cayenne Pepper to Taste (Be CAREFUL)

Mix with warm water (Use a 12 oz. Tumbler)

Use at Room Temperature

(Refrigerate after use)

DO NOT INGEST

Note : I realize that you may have some difficulty finding some of these ingredients LOCALLY, but try to add as many as possible.

Kindly keep us posted......

Warmest Regards,

Adolph

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• Administrator

Hello,

Very unlikely that you have damaged your voice. If something strange happens or the voice doesn't respond perfectly, singers ALWAYS freak out and draw a conclusion or worry about the absolute most extreme situation, which is always the most unlikely. The voice is very resilient and can endure a lot of punishment, and that assumes that you are actually "punishing" your voice, with I will venture to guess, you are not. 

Don't draw the conclusion that you have damaged your voice simply because you have a scratch, or a little bit of distortion in your singing voice, or it suddenly got a little windy or you have some bubbles you haven't heard before. JUST RELAX!

You are probably wasting your time and money seeing a doctor. Singers do this all the time too... 

Can you give us a link or sample of your voice and point out why you think it is "damaged" based on the sound sample?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Listen to Adolph and Robert. For nodules, it takes repeated abuse for a while to actually develope those. They are calluses. Just like it took some time to get calluses on your fingertips if you play guitar or on your feet, especially if you walk barefoot a lot.

Drink the stuff Adolph said and give your voice a rest. And what you need to do is light descending slides or sirens, almost falsetto, a few times a day for a few days to a week. Then, get a training program.

• TMV World Member

Thanks for all the responses guys, glad to hear it. However I have to point out that it's more than a little raspy, and I literally can't hit the note, especially the c5. Not that I was aiming for the c5 in this clip. The falsetto is windy and scratchy too. I have less control over it as well. I also want to mention that I feel a very slight pain around the E4-F4, but its only when I did the scale. It's not a major pain at all. Another thing is I've been suffering from pharyngitis for a few months (presumably due to improper technique), which causes a slight pain (sometimes) when I swallow, around the right side of my throat above the larynx.  It only usually happens when I have my head down and I swallow, when my head is at the normal position and I swallow there is no pain. This hasn't gotten worse after this incident which I am posting about. No pain or hoarseness when I'm speaking or singing lower/in the lower-mid range either.  I've attached an audio clip. I will try that gargle out, hopefully I can find all of the ingredients I need in my town. If not, I'll make do with all the ones that I can find.

EDIT: I put it up on Soundcloud now, been meaning to open an account anyway: https://soundcloud.com/kevin-mario-asokan/vocal-problem-upload-for-tmv