Powerslave and The Trooper - please critique

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello, there!

Iron Maiden is my favourite band and i love trying to sing their songs. I am a little tired of "The Trooper", hahaha, but just a little so that´s why i mixed it up with "Powerslave". Shoot! Sorry about my poor mixing abilities.

https://www.box.com/s/98819f071c24c906bdbf

https://www.box.com/s/2cb8404f8ad20d36dd31

Thanx in advance

Ola

Wow, very nice. Powerslave was the winner though, hands down. I think The Trooper is just very difficult and the opening verse is especially tough. Good job though.

When you apologized for the mixing I expected the worst. Are you kidding? I can't figure out how you guys do it. It sounds like listening to a CD. The vocals fit inside the music. All my recordings come out like two separate tracks. Vocals sitting on top of the music. You can tell they were recorded separate. (basically they suck). Your songs sounded like you were singing together with the band. Good job.

Great tone man. The "slave to the power of death" isn't sung in the proper key.. But the rest of it sounds good, and the tone of your voice is awesome. Great job bro!

www.drop-head.com

Great tone man. The "slave to the power of death" isn't sung in the proper key

Ahhh, see. I had to go back and listen to that and yes, I hear it. And it happens each time. But I didn't notice before because I'm not familiar with the song. Was never an Iron Maiden fan. :)

Hello, Tommy and Keith, thanx for feedback. Yes, i think you are right, my pitch control is very bad, it is sung a little too high right "slave to the power of death"? It happens each time because i only recorded the chorus once, that´s why :)

Copy and paste :) yeah it's a little too high - but your tone made up for it. Dude, ya sounded just like Bruce lol.

www.drop-head.com

:) Man... you have a great voice and a great range, why not writing some original stuff? In my opinion you have a unique style and can certainly take this to an other level ....

Regards

Tanya from Miami Florida USA

thesingingjudge.com

:) , Tanya, thanx for your kind words. Well i can´t play guitar or any instrument for that matter, the only instrument i can play a little are the drums so i think it would be a little difficult for me to write my own stuff.I can learn of course but right now i am pretty satisfied with trying to imitate my idols.

Hi Olem, these sound good, Powerslave is the better one I think. Your tone is nice, especially on the lower parts, but as you know there are some issues with key and pitch etc. Just be careful not to overshoot the high notes like you do at the end of Powerslave.

I think you need to relax a little more while singing, you sound very pinched during the trooper, but it is a hard song to sing, maybe you are over thinking it?

I liked it though overall, your voice is cool and different, looking forward to more.

Max

Howdy, Max, thanx for your feedback. Spot on there i think, yes my voice is squeezed in the trooper, but it was even more before so i am making progress. I hope i can improve my support and sing with a more relaxed open throat in the future. See ya around, Max.

Great tone on "Powerslave." You own that song.

You had good tone on "The Trooper" but like I mentioned in your earlier thread for this song, the mixing strategy you used made it muddy. Too much echo. Please, trim back to a slight reverb and no echo. Your voice already has a enough resonance and you don't need to add to it. You did a great job with song and you are hobbling yourself with the mixing strategy, in my opinion.

Hello, Ron, thanx for your feedback. Ron, u use audacity too, right? I don´t really know how to use the reverb function there, what settings to apply. Do you?

I'm not all that good at using reverb, either. But, mostly, less is more. That is, use reverb sparingly, to where it almost seems like there is not any. But you might ask Tommy. He has mastered reverb better than I have.

Mastered? I'm throwing darts bro. Just pokin' and hopin' I slide the controls one way, save the file, then listen to it. Don't like it? Then back to square one, slide the controls the other way and so on. Actually what I have found is as Ron said, less is more (for my taste). I don't like too much of an echo sound or a trailing off. I set the slide very dry...almost zero. I dampen about half way and set tail almost all the way down. I set room size to about 10 feet.