No Stranger to Love - Black Sabbath (sort of)

• TMV World Legacy Member

For my wife, Brenda. This song has been stuck in my head. Finally good to get it out.

After Ozzy Osbourne was fired from Black Sabbath. They auditioned the singer of this song but rejected him. He had too much jazz in his voice and they were looking for something darker. So, while the band was going through troubles, Tony Iommi went off to record a solo album with this singer. The record company found out and decided it was a "Black Sabbath" album because he was under exclusive contract to only write Black Sabbath material. The singer is Glenn Hughes, also of Trapeze, Hughes - Turner, Deep Purple, Black Country Communion.

Here's my take on it. The last bit at the end is me being cheeky. I was going to cut it, then decided to keep it.

"No Stranger to Love" by Black Sabbath (sort of, through the manipulations of the record company)

https://www.box.com/s/d22db1e0a3580aa37c39

Edited to add:

Special thanks to Glenn Hughes for providing on his website the cheat sheet in the format I use. Lyrics with chords written above them. Copy and paste, easy money.

I've never heard that song. Good job Ron. I agree with Keith and I think it has something to do with the fact that there seemed to be a bit more emotion in the vocals this time around.

Thanks guys. Tommy, it took me a few weeks to get in the right mind to record this song. Sure, the song was in my head. But I had to get in the song. And even, at the last, the vocals that you hear are the second take. First time, I was still hearing the original in my head.

This recording is a little different for me. Usually, I record rhythm guitar and vocals simultaneously. This time, I record the rhythm guitar first. Sang over it second because I really wanted to concentrate on the singing. I have improved on how to sync tracks in audacity. the solo is just my jazzy noodling, as usual.

Minimal compressor plug-in, to compensate for the loss of analog signal to digital format. No effects, no eq. I moved the mic away for the loud high notes, moved it in close for the lower volume stuff, no pop filter. Just holding the mic in hand.

• Administrator

I agree with Keith. This is the best I've heard you sing Ron !!! You put your heart in this one...

AWESOME, my Friend ! :cool:

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Thanks, Adolph. My wife heard this song on the radio and thought it was me. So, the itch was planted in my brain to do a song in a style that suits me from a singer that others besides my wife say I sound similar to. For just once in my life.

The song is easy, chord-wise. But it took two weeks to get myself into the song. And then two takes. First take, I was still hearing Glenn in my head. Second take, it was my song.