Vocal Help!

• TMV World Legacy Member

So I recently made a post like last week or so and got good feedback of how to correct one of my problems which I am working on and have made progress with but I need more opinions and feedback and this time I used a different song to show a little diversity. Personally my voice is super sharp but I guess to others it is not and I think it is very lifeless and dull and well, can you just listen to it and tell me what you think>?

https://soundcloud.com/cayden-sob/skyscraper

Pitch problems, you go out of pitch many times, super sharp i wouldnt say, i believe you have nice voice color from what i hear that if you work your voice enough, it will show. For now yes, it is dull and flat/lifeless but not as much as you think. Keep us updated!

Thanks for the feedback! I know I go out of pitch but even the greatest singers go out of pitch. I guess I'll just, I'v done research of how to make it less dull and I can't seem to make out exactly why it is like that, Idk how to correct it. So I am going to sing it again and try. ... to go out of my comfort zone and be more natural and not care so much of how I think it should sound and just sing more comfortable. I am not naturally a loud speaker so I'm not naturally a loud singer either, I like a good range but other than that so, maybe if I sing louder it'll make the difference? Well, here is the link.

https://soundcloud.com/cayden-sob/skyscraper

Your file is gone so I can't listen. I'm not a perfect singer, but if you wanna fix the 'flatness' in your voice, research resonance, it will give a ring to your tone, you basically want sound to resonate in your sinus cavities and you'll pretty much feel your nose buzz, also try to mix that with the feeling of chest resonance(AKA feel the sound in your chest).

That's because I was making a new one, trying to sound less dull and I think the pitch is way better. If you decide to read this post again and listen to the song, what do you think I am doing wrong with my long notes that is so cringy?

Really? I find it easier to stay on pitch with the music. I honestly don't think I'm off pitch a lot, have you listened to the song originally? Anyways that isn't a major concern of mine and I do sing from the diaphragm, idk how you would sing without it but in this case, maybe I was using to much throat, maybe I shouldnt sing so loud. My resonance is off all the time, iI have a hard time with that but I doubt that is the reason I sound so. ... like this. I should sound better than this and I try so hard to sound good but I guess I am just one of those people not naturally born with a nice sound.

Okay I'm telling you this now, the pitch is really off, I'm not trying to be rude it really is. Honestly, naturally singing is almost impossible, you have to practice and you have to study. I've been studying singing myself without a teacher for over a year and my singing is still mediocre. I would say try to master your pitch, match notes on a piano, try to mimic the singers of the songs you're singing, and feel resonance in the bridge of your nose.

About the pitch, you'd be surprised if you lower or even stop the music and you continue to sing, at least i was for myself. Singing along, especially in louder than yourself volume, gives you the "illusion" that you are on pitch, in fact the singer is, not you. Again this is from my personal experience/disapointment :P but i think it applies to everyone!

Before he works in resonance, he needs to work on support exercises. I bet the pitchi-ness will self correct once he learns the absolute basics. Always start with the basics when starting something new. What does your workout routine look like?

www.drop-head.com

I have been learning for over a year. Lmao. I know the basics, that is why I look at some comments and like, lmao, I know how to use the basics. I just am stuck and can't figure out the problem because it feels like I am doing it right. I just can't sound right, idk if I am singing the wrong genre or what.

You don't know the basics. Not at all. You can laugh if you like, but you really don't. You sing with 0 support. None, whatsoever. Support is part of "the basics". This may help.

www.drop-head.com

You know, everyone is jumping at pitch.

Here's the thing: until one sings enough in the song, unless they have a degree in music of have studied it semi-formally, they don't know that "this is the note I sing here".

So it comes down to natural "feeling" where they should be. I find a lot of the times, many people don't listen to the nuances in the song structure before recording. I am guilty of this at times. You just WANT to sing it.

Have you REALLY listened to the song? Becuase you say, "that's the way the song goes" im imagining that you don't hear it yet? If it helps, download her version, and lower it to the key you are in and hear her as if it were in that key. That may give you a good start.

I have been learning for over a year. Lmao. I know the basics, that is why I look at some comments and like, lmao, I know how to use the basics. I just am stuck and can't figure out the problem because it feels like I am doing it right. I just can't sound right, idk if I am singing the wrong genre or what.

I know what you mean. I have been there and only recently started having major gains. I had been singing for more than 30 years knowing that I was doing everything right but still I had problems. Reading all the books I could find, singing along to the "Vocal Courses" I could find with exercises and such. Things sounded good most of the time but Major Issues that I thought were well behind me were still present.

People keep talking about support and resonance. That is all well and good but when you think that you are doing those things some of the suggestions seem to go in one ear and out the other.

I thought I was supporting and resonating but I was not. All of the ingredients were there. The expanded ribs, the low breath, the little vibrations around the mask, but singing takes at least the same amount of energy as having a heated arguement with someone. Even when you are singing soft and comforting. Maybe even more so then because you still need enough energy to move the vocal folds while letting a little air slip through.

That energy you give your voice when arguing or standing your ground is more along the lines of support than having your ribs expanded.

If you think you were doing that in the clip above then that is where the problem lies. You think you are giving enough energy to your voice and you are not.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."