Johnny Cash - Redemption

• TMV World Legacy Member

Sounds good Benny. The last few songs I recorded were just to stop the song from repeating in my head.

Somehow recording it seems to purge it from the system. Then something else gets stuck and the process repeats...............

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

12 minutes ago, MDEW said:

Sounds good Benny. The last few songs I recorded were just to stop the song from repeating in my head.

Somehow recording it seems to purge it from the system. Then something else gets stuck and the process repeats...............

Yes, exactly that, pretty strange thing :P

My wife has been putting a few select songs on repeat and playing one song all day. One of them is "Nights in White Satin". Not one of my favorite songs but it is OK. I had to record it to stop it from playing in my head. I may post it later on today.

Another one is Adeles' "Hello". I haven't recorded that one yet but I may have to.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

16 hours ago, benny82 said:

Thanks guys!

Yes I'm a bass pretty much. Took me some time to realize that though :)

Sometimes it's okay to realize what your voice is. Once I realized and accepted that I would never be baritone, let alone bass,I could accept being a tenor and work with my voice that way to free it up.

I'll never be able to do Caiaphas from JC Superstar, but I can still admire those who can.

"Ah gentlemen, you know why we are here. We've not much time and quite a problem here ...."

I liked this. I hadn't gotten to hear your voice much yet. It's a great timbre, good song, and good rendition.

The only thing, and I'm not sure if it's production, but I'd have preferred just a bit more dynamics. Like a bit more contrast between say a wispier timbre and a full throated bass/baritone thing.

It might depend on how far away you are from the mic. It's just preference, but when I hear Cash, he has a relatively limited pitch range, but the volumes are quite varied per pitch, so there's kind of a rhythmic syncopation to the volumes. I think it helps a lot on songs with limited pitch range. Close micing can help bring out those differences.

Yes, it was like "quick and dirty" from the production side. I just captured everything through my condenser mic (guitar and vocals), setting the mic in a distance where it is about the same distance to my mouth and to the guitar. Of course I adjusted my singing to be able to carry over the volume of the guitar, but no post-processing of volumes etc.

I agree, it is someting that makes Johnny's singing particularly interesting that he often switches to a more quiet, speech-like mode of singing which creates accentuation.