Fighting for ligther tone:Stoned by Richie Kotzen criticize please!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi there,

I've been pretty busy last months so no really time to sing and practice, but started to work on singing today and try to reach a lighter tone a la Richie kotzen.

This is the original:

And this is mine singing and playing the guitar

http://www.box.net/shared/3yd6e9jhxs

I'm really fighting to have a lighter tone in midlle voice and have a full sound. So i'm out of tune on some parts. The only part where i'm comfortable is the lastest one (from 2:09 to 2:28) where i sing a high C#.

I also have a hard time twanging wihtout engaging swallowing muscles. And there's definitly a lack of twang when i sing.

So if you guys can help or just say what you think it will be great.

thanxs in advance,

Josh

I'd say you're 99% there already and have the potential to sing this and similar songs simply great. It's already somewhat great, but I still hear a slight strain. I'm on a similar boat myself. I think you currently probably are singly slightly too loud in curbing and aren't hitting the curbing vowels 100% correctly.

You can hear that you get much louder in the chorus and there you push the volume and squeeze your throat a bit too much to for it to be healthy - or at least I recall you saying that. You could also be overdoing the hold/cry in curbing. But the problem you find is that if you lower your volume, you don't sound as full as you'd want, right? The reason for that is usually because you're not singing the curbing vowels 100% correctly, even though you think you are :) If you hit them spot on, it feels like you "fill out" with resonance and you get a nice balance of high and low overtone. You already have good twang, which is very, very good and it makes it easier for you to put that slight distortion on top of the most emotional words and phrases. Btw. your distortion sounded very cool. Also, in your lower range, don't forget to keep your twang and sing with slightly more confidence, just like you're doing on your high notes. Great job man!

But, as always, I'm not a vocal coach, so this is just my opinion. Still, try this stuff out and see where it takes you.

Josh - It sounds really good and can I can hear the slight out of tune but it isn't that bad. Sounds like a little bit of the constrictors are getting involved making things a little tight and then slighter harder to control. You've got a nice thing going on with the distortion. I agree with jonpall on the curbing. Sounds like you are in curbing but maybe not in the center. If you hit the center of the curbing vowels it is going to help release that tension.

I like this alot! Love the light sound with the scratchiness in there. That's something I really want to learn how to do. A very subtle hoarseness/rasp with a slightly windy and light sound. Not sure if it's being produced in the healthiest manner but it sounds very nice.

sorry for being late for the reply....

@Jonpall:

I don't know what to say, each time i have a problem, you're here for me and you are so helpfull!!!! It's amazing how you understand my problems and how everytime you find the solution.you're like a singing brother to me!!!!

It's so right that my vowels are not good, did'nt even notice it before but now i only hear that. I really have to work on it. I now really hear that the vowels never sound the same. Thank you so much

@Guitartrek

Thanks for the comment! So true i have too much tension, especially on the chorus and on the word "this"...

@Wildcat

Thanxs for you r compliment too ;-). For the rasp, i always had this kind of tone but jonpall help me so much to get it better. the best trick he gave me: twang,twang,twang and try lowering the soft palate ;-)

Now back on the technical stuff lol.

I think i also have to work on my range. honestly i've never really worked on increasing it. I'm sure it will help me to be more confortable in the middle/high parts. I'm so focused on the midlle range lol.

anyway thans for all your comments!!!!!

Josh

I couldn't listen to the original here, I'll have to search later. I only heard your version, and I liked it! In the verses, your pronunciation is not entirely clear (or maybe it's my ears' fault), but you're stoned, and stoned people, even if by love, don't pronounce every vowel and consonant as if it were their last. Your vocals in the chorus are awesome in terms of interpretation, but technically, I sense some tension, maybe because of what Jonpall said. I especially liked the ending, with the vibrato and the rasp going on at the same time. Really cool recording. I wish I could give you more technical help, but I'm sure the others will fill in my gaps.

[color=black][i]Stuff.[/i][/color]