Me covering some maiden (Run to the hills)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Nice effort, Chavie! Your head voice is a killer. I liked your version alot. Bruce´s head voice is a little more compressed and you could especially hear it in the chorus and the line "for your life" where your head voice sounds more light than his. but maybe that´s how you want it. The verse with "galopping hard on the plains" you sang in a different key. Your voice sounds relaxed and you´ve got great control, it doesn´t sound strained at all.

ill have to look up "compression"

I actually just had a breakthrough today with breath support(i tended to take in way to much air before..)

Yea i'm not quite happy with that "for your life" part either

although i think the last one i hit was decent ......the rest were ......meh

Singing out of key i have no excuses for lol

www.soundclick.com/chavie

Dang it, Chavie, you beat me to it. The high notes, perfect in pitch, could have used a little more air stream. What Frisell calls an intensified air stream. The note placement was right. Also, on the first pass of "run for you life," smile just a little. It will brighten the tone. What Bruce does not a heavy sound or even lots of lower harmonics. But what he does do is put some weight of air on it. So, it's a small note with some good closed quotient on the folds with the pressure of air behind it. When he is singing that note, you could place a candle in front of him and not see a flicker of the flame.

And really, my suggestions are just stylistic. This was an excellent performance, as usual.

Thanks a lot ronws!!!

Just tried the smiling trick...and it helped a lot

Its been a great day of progress for me !!!

+1 rep to you good sir :)

Sounds really good. Excellent guitar riffing and overall production as usual. Your head voice is coming along nicely. Great G5 at the end. The "for your life" thing is just a more shallow vibrating of the folds which is producing less harmonics, more of a "flutey" sound. As you continue development of the head voice (and this is a long term process) you'll be able to vibrate the folds deeper, with more TA activity. Twanging will help amplify those upper harmonics which will make it easier to acheive deeper fold vibration and more TA. Of course Frisell would not want to hurry up that process. It will get better over time as long as you are practicing this stuff. The one thing I noticed is that there is still a pretty distinct difference between your chest and head registers. You may want to try thinning out chest earlier (maybe starting at E4) as you go up so it matches your head at around A4. Overall excellent performances.

Chavie - Not a heady voice earler, but a lighter chest voice earlier. We all want our head to sound like chest, but to do that, we have to start thinning the folds in chest or else we end up with a "speed bump" where there is a big difference in weight between chest and head. It is a "throttling down" of the TA muscle, and letting the CT muscle start taking over - earlier. TA is your dominant Chest voice muscle, and CT is the dominant head voice muscle.

Do you practice sirens on semi-occluded phonations (like "ng" or lip rolls)? If so, you'd be sirening up and down from chest to head - and to do this seemlessly you start to mix head with chest. To make it even, chest would start to thin out into head, and head would sound more like chest so there is one single voice instead of separate registers. That's a great excersise to bridge between the two registers. The semi-occluded phonations balance the air pressure making it easier to acheive the TA / CT coordination. After all, the fine coordination between the TA and CT muscles are ultimately what will allow us to acheive the "single voice".

I started doing that exercise today, im excited about the end results.

ive mostly done lip rolls on scales never on sirens, and never tried the "NG" sirens

thanks again :)

Jesus! Talk about vocal potential!!! You are going to have one amazing voice once you get a few technical aspects under control. WOW, I'm really impressed with you already!

"GIDDYUP!"

Yo, Mike, a rep point for you. Because people respond better to positive reinforcement than they do to punishment or criticism. Every single time you have posted in here, it is to help someone us up and support their dreams.

To quote Jack Nicholson, "You make me want to be a better person."

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus! Talk about vocal potential!!! You are going to have one amazing voice once you get a few technical aspects under control. WOW, I'm really impressed with you already!

That means a lot coming from you man !!

Archived