Holy Diver

• TMV World Legacy Member

Last week it was 2 years since RJD passed away... The world of music will never be the same without him! Here's my little tribute. Difficult stuff:/ C&C welcome as always.

https://www.box.com/s/7abde3b9759855b9058c

Nice one, this sounds good. It is a really hard song to sing, even discounting attempting to measure up to Dio, but you did a good job. I think maybe it could be more fluid, sung slightly lighter if that makes sense?

Max

Ronws, Olem, Mr_pink_77_it, thanks for the comments! It's very motivating. I'd love to be able to sing those songs with the ease Ronnie used to have - I'm still struggling with pulling too much weight, but it's getting better:)

Olem, I'll upload the full and corrected version soon:)

DJ, please watch this video. It's not about pulling chest, even if that is what it sounds like. It's about tone. Absolutely scrutinize what his face does as he sings. I like to call it the "Lilli Lift," which I named after Lilli Lehmann, a soprano coloratura who later wrote books and taught singing after she retired.

He's not exerting much more than he speaks. It's tone and resonance, for him.

Ron, you're 100% right. His tone is unbelievable. Many have tried to copy Dio's style, and I think that the one who's gotten nearest is Nils Patrik Johansson - he's sometimes even called "the Swedish Dio":). He's definitely worth checking out. Here's his new band Civil War - a clip with some acapella singing at 0:56

Notice how his voice sounds a bit funny, when unprocessed and without the background music, almost like an old man, but as soon as they add some reverb and the music kicks in, it starts to sound just awesome.

And here's his main band Astral Doors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVH8RtB8X54

Nicely done man! :]

Ron, you're 100% right. His tone is unbelievable. Many have tried to copy Dio's style, and I think that the one who's gotten nearest is Nils Patrik Johansson - he's sometimes even called "the Swedish Dio":). He's definitely worth checking out. Here's his new band Civil War - a clip with some acapella singing at 0:56

For me this guy does not sound anything like Dio :/.

IMO early Russell Allen was very close to Dio's tone

OMERTAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Thanks Daug!

I think he does - especially on the Astral Doors tune, not so much on this Civil War clip. Here's another Astral Doors in the vein of Rainbow and Dio band's songs:

You are right, Russell Allen was close do Dio, and he admitted on many occasions that he taught himself to sing emulating Ronnie. Looks like it's a good way to learn:)