Just uploaded to soundcloud

• TMV World Legacy Member

I recorded this about 10 years ago. I still have the same issues. Any advice would be appreciated.

I did all the music on a home recorder.

http://soundcloud.com/mdew/something-to-talk-about2

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I think I mentioned in your other post of a song. You have minimal to no vibrato in your voice. And that's okay. Ozzy Osbourne has made a career out of no vibrato. I triple-dog dare you to sing "(Momma,) I'm Coming Home."

I bet you're afraid to do it because you are so used to people criticizing you that you wouldn't know how to handle it if someone gave you a compliment. The no vibrato thing is wrong for this song but good for just about anything by Ozzy Osbourne. Or Tom Petty. That is, build some success for yourself with something suited to your voice. Then, again, I may be unfairly comparing you to Bonnie Raitt, who has a lighter voice with more R & B in it.

In my life I have asked over and over from people, What is lacking in my singing or what can I do to make it better. They usually either do not comment or say I don't know or that I did fine.

Thank you, I am looking for critisizm. I cannot grow if everyone says I did fine when even I know something is missing.

The lack of vibrato is because I have been told in the past that it is not natural. There are songs that I sing when a natural vibrato comes out on its own. I will work on that.

This song I wanted to sing the way I would express myself. Funny how you have to go to strangers to get real input.

I am working on my support. That should help the vibrato come out.

As a side note no one can sing a Bonnie Rait song like Bonnie Rait.

And I love " Momma I'm Commin Home".

So thats it? No other suggestions or comments? Tone just unappealing? No emotion? Not enough twang? Too breathy? I am asking for your impressions, input. If it's not appealing give me a suggestion.something to change to make it better.

I respect your views, At least let me know why it is not worth commenting on.

And yes Ronws, I am working on vibrato and I will record "Momma I'm Commin Home"

Whoever told you that vibrato is not natural or is not to be used and cultivated is wrong. Tell them that Ron from Texas said that. Even better, have them fly to DFW International Airport on a weekend and let me know what terminal and I will tell them to his/her face.

Please, for the love of all that is good, get the idea out of your head that vibrato is not good to have.

Who told you that? Was it mom or dad? If they are still alive, I will tell them they are wrong, for you. Was it some friend? Some coach or book by a voice coach that you read? I'll tell them, too.

All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

That's your lesson for the next week. Whether you sing or not. Get up each day and every time you take a drink of water or visit the bathroom or write something down as part of a job or whatever, or every time you stand up or sit down (pick one) tell yourself that vibrato is good. Tell yourself that whoever told you vibrato was no good was wrong. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

It might take longer than a week but at least give it a week.

Starting ..... now.

And yes, I still want to hear you do "Momma, I'm coming home," with or without vibrato.

But you might want to get over the vibrato thing just to give yourself a new lease on singing.

I am working on my vibrato and my support. I hope to upload a new recording soon. My recording equipment is bottom line but it should get the job done.

Altho I believe I am breathing properly. I have not been able to lose the habit of pushing with my throat.

I know that the breath should be regulated by the support mechanism but I have not been able to use it.

No one in my area has taken proper voice lessons. So around here you either have it or you don't. I am trying to improve.

I either just don't have it or I intimidate the hell out of the other singers because they just will not share the load.

I also get that it's not about me, it's about the song and that is why I want to improve. So I can sing the songs that I love.

Go ahead and intimdate others. In the end, by allowing what others to say to have an effect or to believe the words of others, especially to the detriment of what should be easy, you are the only one that holds you back. Free yourself.