Star Spangled Banner

• TMV World Legacy Member

So I have been on this forum reading for quite sometime, and have recently decided that I should start getting actively involved in posting and interaction. This forum has been a wealth of information.

This is a clip of me singing the american national anthem. I am looking to increase power in my voice, it sounds kind of wimpy to me. : ( Let me know what you think.

http://www.box.net/shared/gqiosqkll0

Thanks,

Drew

• Administrator

Well, let me just start by saying... it sounds "ok-good" in my opinion... slightly leaning toward only ok... I can tell by listening that you have a nice voice and instrument... but you need some voice training and techniques to help you learn to develop your "singing" voice. For example, I can tell by listening that your not opening your mouth enough which is reducing the quality of the overtones, adding to constriction on your belty high notes and messing up the articulation. Once you begin to open your mouth more, you will want to facilitate that added space with more air... you need more respiration/support.

Do you have a voice coach? Have you ever just chopped on some vocal workouts for an hour? It would go a long way for you and you would probably sound vastly better in a short period of time.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for responding. For the past 6 months I have been attempting to develop technique while singing. I think this is a definate improvment to where I was 6 months ago, I was straight up just TERRIBLE!!!!!! I have been working with the Singing Success method as well as dabbling with other methods, basically trying to learn as much as possible so that I can make sense of it all. This forum has been a great asset to my vocal journey. Your comment about support is pertinent because through all of this, I believe this is an area that I have neglected because I have been concentrating so hard on the coordinations. (This is most likely because SS does not put emphasis on support) It has taken me quite some time to even bridge into my head voice (I had extremly bad habits), but I think its finally getting to the point where I can do it consistently. As for a vocal coach, the main problem for me right now is money. I believe that soon I am going to try save up and buy your four pillars system, and eventually get some kind of lesson. Thank you for creating this site, it has been very helpful.

Thanks,

Drew

I hear some really good potential in you my friend! Once you get some of the fundamentals worked out, you will be on your way to greatness! Glad to have you share your voice with us. :)

"GIDDYUP!"

Drew, check out the home page of The Vocalist Studio. Maybe you could get someone to get you the deal as a Christmas Present.

http://www.thevocaliststudio.com/

[url=http://www.jacknapalm.com/]Jack Napalm.com[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

Drew, this would have been an American Idol Flop for sure....however the fact that you are putting yourself out there like this means that you have a passion. What I hear is a singer that is shy and locked. You are not singing from your diaphragm and you will not know what this means until you spend some time with a vocal instructor to provide proper instruction. You need a hands on approach; I encourage you to make contact with Robert directly and do a Skype lesson or see if Robert can find you a reputable voice instructor in your area. You do not need to spend your life with a vocal instructor...If you are on a tight budget I would at minimum suggest that you work with someone at least once a week for a month then sing the National Anthem for us again...I will be waiting.

Like anything else in life it takes work. Keep practicing. An instructor will provide you with scales and teach you how to sing them properly so you can have an effective warm up.

www.myspace.com/brtempleofsound
www.vamacoustics.com