Through the Glass Stone Sour - Total Newbie here looking for advice

• TMV World Legacy Member

So I recorded myself for the first time ever singing a verse to Stone Sour Through The Glass.

Looking for some critique and advice on how I can improve, or alternatively some tough loving and told, give up and stick to playing bass!! haha

Anyway, here is the link. I look forward to hearing what you have to say and hopefully learning!

PS. was trying to concentrate on keeping my larynx low, so at the start I sound a wee bit dopy!

Sounds very good to me! Keep it up and good luck!

Maybe over time you could make your inhale less audible, but this is just nitpicking (and if it sounds cool to you then keep it!).

I heard breath-takes, too. But it was not a detriment, to me. For all of us, we have only heard the radio version. Which comes from a professionally produced cd. I know this hurts some feelings, so I will mention it again because I am as stubborn as a mule and made the mistake of reading about recording from professionals who literally get their paycheck from mixing albums that sell well. The pro recording is auto-tuned. There, I said it, go ahead, everyone, get your feelings hurt. And then, the final recording is mastered to cd and all the levels are brought from the initial master recording.

Juxtapose that to James' recording. Excellent pitch without any autotune. Noises in recording included. I absolutely guarantee that if you heard the actual dry vocal track from the original singer, you would hear the same thing.

So, now, someone can come along and say, what about the vids on youtube that say vocal only?

Are you serious? You actually believe that is that unaltered single vocal track from the master files, that is owned by the record company or the artist? Really? Well, if that's the case, I've got some ocean-front property just outside of Scottsdale, Arizona that I would like to sell you.

Anyway, good job, James. I could hear where you concentrated on diction. Good job on that, too. Just remember, whatever you do, after all the technique and worrying about this or that, sing with emotion. Sing what the song means to you.

In fact, if I were you, I would keep this recording. Mixing wise, all you would need to do is take the dry vocal track and run it through "noise limiter" if you have a recording software with that function. It would probably get rid of or reduce the breath takes. In fact, do that before running the compressor. Otherwise, the compressor brings up the volume of all soft sounds, including breath takes.

So, really, we are talking about an aesthetic choice in post-recording editing.

Thanks for the kind words guys,

Really wasn't expecting a response like the two so far. With the recording I basically just stuck my mic on and ran it through the first generic male vocal processing chain available in Logic, just wanted to get it out there.

Ronws I'll run it through a noise suppressor then some compression and tidy it up a little at some point, probably going to record it all as a full cover at some point also, I'll stick it up here once done for some more critique.

Again, thanks for the kind words guys!

Are there any other major issues that stand out and I really should be working on?

Hi!

About the question to either quit or continue. Quit.

Still here? Then the question is pointless, its not my choice as you see, its yours.

The recording does not sound bad, but its not good either. The main problem I hear is with the melody line, listen more to the song and nail it, in special, the timmings and divisions. hehe curious, Ive heard prety much the same yesterday :P.

Your voice does not sound strainned, but in the only note that is just a small bit higher tension prevented you from singing it. DONT force your way up ok? Either seek a teacher or work around this comfortable area, it will slowly improve.

GL, do find a teacher man.

Hi!

About the question to either quit or continue. Quit.

Still here? Then the question is pointless, its not my choice as you see, its yours.

The recording does not sound bad, but its not good either. The main problem I hear is with the melody line, listen more to the song and nail it, in special, the timmings and divisions. hehe curious, Ive heard prety much the same yesterday :P.

Your voice does not sound strainned, but in the only note that is just a small bit higher tension prevented you from singing it. DONT force your way up ok? Either seek a teacher or work around this comfortable area, it will slowly improve.

GL, do find a teacher man.

Thanks for the comments man. I agree, it's very very average sounding, I'll have another good listens to the song to see if I can spot what you are saying with regard to timings.

I know exactly the point where you mean with the tension, I think the reason it sounds forced is because I can't seem to sing it without my larynx rising up almost into my mouth, so I feel like I have to kind of force to keep it down somewhat, I'll work on that, any exercises that might help that you can suggest?

With regard to a teacher, I'm going to be moving from Northern Ireland to England in the next month or two, so for the moment I'm just doing what I can, once I get across there I'll have a look for a teacher.

Cool, slow it down then, let go of the larynx, dont worry if it rises, just dont force it, dont strain. Comfortable will sound great I assure you. Once you begin the lessons then you worry about the technique.

This work around comfort and easy singing will make the start easier for both you and the teacher. No need to rush into exercises , it will take just a few months to begin.

GL man!