Mustang Sally

Rate this topic

Ok, one more video...last one, I promise. I have no more anyway! :D

This was fun. The singing isn't so good....off night....no big deal, we all have em.' I don't think anyone noticed though, we had a good time anyway.

The backing singers came up there after I did (or at least I think they did). I had no idea they were there until I heard them. They weren't with me or planned, they just decided to come up. I must have been in another world...even the last one to walk up there, you will see in the video, I didn't realize until she started to sing. Even though she walks right by me....strange. :/ She sang a few songs that night and is freakin' incredible. I have no idea who the woman dancing was.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6js2a74sgjpia0/Mustang%20Sally.AVI

Yea that was cool. It usually is a lot of fun and actually that was nothing compared to my last cruise. As I posted after I came back from my last cruise it was something you'd have to have been there to believe. I sang Mustang Sally with the band that time. Wow! I usually get a good following and people asking me when I'm singing again and what time to be there etc. I tend to get a big African American following. After I sang "Running On Faith" which I posted below in this thread, I ran into an old black man and his wife. He was from down south by his voice. He stopped me in the restaurant and called me to his table complimenting me. The best thing for me was that he said "Man...for a white boy you can really sing that blues....you got some soul man."

The three songs/videos I posted this week were from a short weekend cruise I had taken and didn't prepare to sing. I sang Mustang Sally because my wife said i should, but I didn't want to. I was unprepared to sing it and not warmed up either (it's hard on my voice). I hadn't practiced in awhile. (I tend to forget lyrics :D).

I sang Running on faith because as I said in the post it was impromptu and I didn't have my CD's with me and no song prepared so I knew they had that in their song book. It's my go to song when I have nothing. And I sang Georgia on my Mind because again, I was unprepared and that song usually gets a good response and it's a good song for me to sing and easy since I sing it so much. (also posted below this week).

And to think, for the guys who remember here. I learned that song(Georgia on my Mind) as a member here and posted my learning along the way. I started before I had recording equipment and just stood in my living room with a video camera and sang with all the echo of the room. And I didn't know the words and the song was wobbly. Then I posted new versions as I learned it and how to sing it. Then i said I was going to work on my own take on the song. One day Quincy (remember him) posted "hey I'm still waiting for Georgia." Which forced me back to it...:D

Now it's my main song! Thanks for the patience guys :cool:

Fantastic. Great backing singers also :)

I remember frequenting a karaoke bar in Cedar Rapids a few years back which looked like that, when I was working on a project there for a few months. I once stood up there to sing the Neil Diamond song which I was familiar with, and was surprised/embarrased to find the karaoke had the a 7'30 album version rather than the 3'00 single which I knew. I died up there...

Have you ever seen the movie "The Commitments". A fantastic movie about music, set in Ireland, with a fabulous rendition of Mustang Sally. Strongly recommended.

Fant

Have you ever seen the movie "The Commitments". A fantastic movie about music, set in Ireland, with a fabulous rendition of Mustang Sally. Strongly recommended.

I have seen that movie and it was good.

And I was just thinking of another movie I liked. "Songcatcher." Actor Aidan Quinn, very proud of his irish heritage, made this movie about going through the Appalachian mountain range in America and tracing the hillbilly music back to its irish folk song roots. The lilting melodies, the storytelling nature of the lyrics. A modern example of that kind of folk-singing is "Whisky in the Jar."

In fact, when I do that song, I follow more closely the original recording by Luke Kelly and the Dubliners than any of the covers since then by Thin Lizzy and Metallica.

And now, I have derailed far enough. Sorry.

I once stood up there to sing the Neil Diamond song which I was familiar with, and was surprised/embarrased to find the karaoke had the a 7'30 album version rather than the 3'00 single which I knew. I died up there...

That's why I never sing out of the book. I bring my own CD's (CDG's) and only sing songs I know well and have practiced. I don't do the unknown. Yea...I may be a little too serious for karaoke :D I go up there to do a good job!!!

You're not the only one. I was at a karoake event where I performed. But, before me was a guy who had his own special outfit to wear, his own cd with his own mix of the song. Had dance moves and everything.

Me, I was "volunteered" by my wife and her friend, who later pronounced me the best singer that night. Which is an awful insult against the other singers. :D

I had no special moves, no special clothes. But I did use the lady bartender in the song. The song was "Brandy" by Looking Glass, which is a song about a lady barmaid in love with a sailor. She happened to be walking in front of the stage, bringing drinks around, so I had to highlight her to the crowd. In Dallas Cowboys football, it's called "flex defensive." You've got to read the play in motion and react, instinctively.

But, I got used to that arrangement. A year or so later when I did that song with a live band that didn't know the song completely, they had to follow my lead. There were going into end coda when I was going into the final chorus repeat. To their credit, they shifted on the fly and followed me and I don't think anyone but someone as insanely trivia-driven as me would know the difference.